38- Seducing the Enemy

You pulled up to the address you'd texted and parked. You stared up at the neon sign across the street that said Vacancy. At first, he suggested the burger place but you wanted someplace you could be alone. If Avani found out, she'd come unglued that you'd chosen someplace so private but you had to settle all the questions and thoughts swirling in your head. That was even scarier than the thought of what Dixie would do when she realized you'd swiped Noah's car keys.

 That was even scarier than the thought of what Dixie would do when she realized you'd swiped Noah's car keys

You were starting to get impatient and thoughts of an ambush started to creep in. You pulled out your phone and sent another text hoping to rush things along.

You stared at the photo of Vinnie that was still your lock screen and prayed he would forgive you for what you were about to do

You stared at the photo of Vinnie that was still your lock screen and prayed he would forgive you for what you were about to do. Just as you were about to give up and leave, the car door swung open and he climbed in the passenger seat.

Jaden: "Why was this restaurant better than the one I suggested?"

You: *pointing across the street*
"I don't want to go to the restaurant."

Jaden: "The motel?"

You: "I just have some thoughts I need to make sense of and I thought getting a room would give me some peace and quiet."

Jaden: "And asking me to be here solves what?"

You: "Maybe you're one of the things confusing me..."

You got out and headed across the street leaving him stunned and confused. You had already checked in with Dixie's ID you'd grabbed from her purse when you took Noah's keys and were taking off your jacket in the room when Jaden walked in. He stood silent in front of the door, confused as ever as you sat at the edge of the bed kneading your palms nervously against your thighs.

Jaden: "If this is about Vinnie, there's nothing I can do to help you. I told you that."

You: "I care about Vinnie and I want him to be okay."

Jaden: "You love him, I get that-"

You: "It's different lately. I care about him, yes but mostly I carry a lot of guilt."

Jaden: "This isn't your fault. We are following our Dad's orders to punish your father."

You: "I could have stopped it, I can't let him die the way I let Chase. I can't move on unless I know he's okay."

Jaden: "Move on? Please tell me you aren't hung up on Chase still."

You: "Chase has changed and has his own motives, I know that."

Jaden: "I'm confused."

You: "Maybe I'm ready to admit that what Vinnie and I had should have been left in that basement."

You took a deep breath and looked up at him nervously:
"Was any of what you said to me at the skatepark that night we met, real?"

Jaden: *still standing frozen and confused*
"Maybe it could have been if you'd picked the right brother."

You were shocked by the genuine emotion that seemed to come from Jaden. Had he really caught feelings for you? Maybe he was really just a victim of his father's business the way you were.

Jaden: "I had everything and Chase took it all and the worst part? I didn't even really want any of it so I should be relieved!"

You: "How was Chase able to take over as 2nd in command under your dad? I don't understand."

Jaden: "At first I didn't think he was interested. He seemed to be in a hurry to recover and reclaim his life. He seemed to hold it all against me but I had no idea who he was. You have to believe that."

You reached your hand out towards him and he inched closer. You grasped his hand and whispered:
"I believe you."

Jaden: "My father has always called me weak and I guess Chase was his second chance at the son he wished I was."

You pulled him down to sit next to you as he continued, barely seeming to notice:
"Can you believe my dad blames me for what happened to Chase? As if he hadn't sent me there knowing your boyfriend would be there and that he was his father."

You: "Your dad knew all this time?"

Jaden: "Yes. He figured getting you out of the way would weaken your dad and lead his son home to him if he lost you."

You: "But he lived... Your dad can't still hold that grudge?"

Jaden: *raising his voice, losing his chill for a moment*
"Are you even listening to anything I've just said? Everything that man has ever done is planned to manipulate everyone around him!!!"

You reached up to brush the hair that'd fallen in his face and he instantly drew silent. He leaned into your touch and for a moment you thought about whether you could go through with what you were about to do. Before you could talk yourself out of it, you leaned forward and crashed your lips against his.

He hesitated for a moment and shook the shock away as he stared into your eyes. His ocean blue eyes drew you closer and before you realized it you had your arms wrapped around him, deep in another embrace. For a moment, your guilt was blurred and drowned to nothingness.

You pushed his back against the headboard and climbed into his lap as he pawed at the skin along your back. As you leaned over him, his mouth was waiting to taste you again. You let him, but more than that... you kissed him back.

The electricity building in the friction between you felt like it could lighten up the dark room. The room was oddly silent, like the moment between a strike of lightning and the thunder that followed. The next few moments you were lost in the kind of kiss that could break open the sky and let the clouds unleash a flood around you.

You had your hands pressed against the mattress on either side of his toned, tattooed arms to steady yourself. You slid your hand up and under the pillow where you'd stashed your purse the second before he walked into the room.

You felt the cold, harsh metal and pulled it out of your purse. In one swift moment, you jabbed it into the underside of Jaden's chin. With the taste of how badly he wanted you still on your tongue, you whispered against his:
"Take me to Chase or I will pull the trigger."