Kid!Maylor: Yellow Raincoat

One flashlight flash meant danger, two flashes meant it was safe; but Brian saw three flashes that night from beyond the bog, and they had never talked about what three flashes meant.

Brian grabs his small wooden boat and gets it situated. He paddles across the bog. It was so foggy he almost missed Roger’s home. He ties up his boat and smooths down his little yellow raincoat. He tracks through the muddy-ness almost losing his galoshes to the bog. He knocks on the door where he can vaguely make out a little lantern lit inside, “Brian?” came the soft voice.

“Yes, it’s me! What’s the matter? What does three flashes mean?”

Roger pulls him inside making Brian yelp, “There was something in the bog.”

“And you made me travel across it?”

“It was heading to your home.” Roger tells him, “I don’t think we have a code for monsters so I sent three flashes over.”

“Two flashes would have worked.” Brian sighs shaking the rain out of his hair, “At least you used your head.” Brian hangs up his worn yellow raincoat.

Roger beams as he lights a match and gets the fireplace going, “How long until your dad’s back from business?” Brian asks sitting down in the leather recliner his feet barely touch the floor despite his long ass legs.

Roger stands on his tippy toes and gets the tap running, “It’s been a month… I don’t think he’s coming back.”

Brian stands up and lifts Roger up so he can fill the kettle up, “We got to leave. We should stay in the city part since our parents aren’t coming home.” Brian’s parents told him to stay inside; they'll be back before dark, it’s now been three years.

Roger gets the kettle filled and the stove going he nearly blows off his eyebrows lighting it, “The city seems nice, have you been to it?”

“Once when I was five.” Brian informs him, “Have you gone inside your father’s room?”

“No, I feel like if I go inside he’ll burst in and start screaming,”

“It’s been a month and I can tell supplies are running low.” Brian points to the nearly empty cabinets.

Roger gasps and grabs Brian’s arm, he points to the window, Brian looks over and his stomach drops. Peering into the window was a creature with bright fiery orange eyes; they back up the creature bangs on the window having spotted the eleven and ten-year-old. They scream and run upstairs into Roger’s father’s room, Roger hides under the bed as Brian looks around for something to use as a weapon.

Roger begins to cry. He was scared that’s why he called Brian over.  Brian was bigger and Brian could protect him from monsters and the scary shadows. Roger uses his Mickey Mouse flashlight. It was a small one meant for little kids, he turned it on. The bed had a few boxes underneath it and a loose paper lays underneath dirty and faded from age, “Missing Child: Roger M. Taylor”.

Roger snorts, some baby had the same name as him except Roger’s last name was Michael, his father being George. The baby even has the same date of birth… Roger gasps and tucks the paper into his shirt pocket, he crawls out only to see Brian being flung by the monster.

Roger grabs a shard of glass from a picture frame that got broke it was of Roger and his “father”, “Not my Brian!” Roger screams stabbing the monster in the gut, “You don’t hurt my Brian! No! No!”

The creature slings Roger into Brian, hissing in pain. Roger grabs Brian and pulls him out the window. They land in a bush, “I’m in so much pain.” Brian groans,

“We need to get to safety!” Roger yells running holding onto Brian’s hand. The dog takes over and Roger trips struggling to get up and hands down and he accepts it, “Thank you, Brian.” Roger says standing up and brushing the muck off of himself.

Roger stops Brian was wearing his little yellow raincoat but when they jumped out the window it was downstairs on the coat rack drying, and Brian had a white and black striped sweater on not grey and black, “You’re not Brian,” Roger hisses backing away,

“What’s wrong with you, Roger? I’m clearly Brian.” he gestures to himself,

Roger holds his hand out, “Secret handshake?”

“What handshake?”

“Not my Brian.” Roger yells running in the opposite direction leaving the Brian look alike confused.

Roger crashes into someone he blinks, “Secret handshake.”

Brian confusedly does so without flaw he kisses Roger’s cheek gingerly, “Come on, I found my boat.”

They got on and Brian paddled as fast as he could until they hit the main fishing dock which would be miles away, it only felt like minutes. Brian ties up his boat like his daddy taught him and the two walk hand and hand into town. They must have looked pretty bad off because an officer stops them and takes them to the police station. They are interviewed heavily and everything falls into place.

Brian’s parents are hunters they went out to kill that beast, but most likely got themselves killed. Using the skills his parents taught him about the wilderness he managed to survive. Roger on the other hand was kidnapped by George Michael as a infant and Mr. Micheal decided the bog was the best place to raise a child since no one goes down there. He assumed the Mays would keep both boys safe and once Brian’s parents went missing, George set out to find them himself, most likely dying by the hands of the monster. This was the first time anyone’s saw the monster and lived to tell the tale.

Roger’s real family welcomes Roger and Brian with warm arms. His mother asks Roger a question though, 

“How did you think George was your father? You’re white.”

“He told me my mommy was English.” Roger replies before going to play with Brian.

Everything worked out well for the two but some nights when it starts to fog up real badly to the point it’s hard to see. Roger swears he sees the little yellow raincoat in the distance, but hey maybe it’s just his overworked brain, right?