Maylor: Goodnight My Hero

Roger kisses his love goodbye before Brian’s getting on the train heading to base camp before being sent to Vietnam, “I love you.” Roger whispers, squeezing his hand the fresh engagement ring was on his finger. They kiss one last time and Brian’s rushed onto the train Roger hardly has time to blink before the train is starting away. He walks away with a heavy heart but he knows they’ll see each other again, and during the time they can’t see each other they write letters, it seems like they wrote letters daily to each other.

They were hopelessly in love and Brian writes to him after being in the war for so long that he can go home and they can finally be married to each other. Roger is overjoyed by that news he shares it with his mother and Brian’s mother Ruth, the mothers get Roger everything he could need for a wedding and Roger’s mother, Winifred gives Roger her own wedding dress to wear for his upcoming wedding. The Taylor and May household was bustling around making sure not a hair was out a place and everything was going to go smoothly for the wedding, after all you may only live to see one child get married so why not make it a big grand thing and spend lots of money on it?

Roger’s stepfather makes sure to find Roger a sixthpence he can keep in his shoe for luck on his wedding day, Roger couldn’t have been more grateful for all the support and love he’s getting for this wedding, Brian sent Roger a polaroid of himself working on one of the medic cars, shirtless and sweaty from the sun, it was one of Roger’s favorite pictures of Brian. It would be the last picture Brian would take since by the time the next letter would arrive back their wedding should be taking place and they won’t need to be writing letters to each other for a while. And Brian would call Roger a few times making sure Roger was ready for his arrive and the wedding was all planned out and they didn’t have to stress over any details of it. Roger and their families made sure not a single thing was out of place, and Roger reported back to neisn happily that he can fly down and they can be wedded together, it was all going so well and Roger was the perfect example of a blushing bride to be.

It was two weeks after the day he turned eighteen, all dressed in white, going to the church that night. Roger had his box of letters in the passenger seat, sixpence in his shoe, something borrowed, something blue and when the church doors opened up 

wide. He put his veil down trying to hide the tears, oh he just couldn't believe it. He heard the trumpets from the military band and the flowers fell out of his hands he could hardly walk to the flag draped casket he puts flowers on his late husband’s chest a sob escapes his lips,

“Baby, why'd you leave me, why'd you have to go?” Roger’s voice was soft no would could hear but the preacher, “I was counting on forever, now I'll never know…” he kissed Brian one last time he knew it was disgusting to do but he wanted one last kiss.

Roger felt like he couldn't breathe. He stands in the background as everyone talks about how Brian won’t be coming home but he can finally be laid to rest. Roger felt like the room was spinning, it felt like a dream but this was no dream it was a nightmare. Brian’s mother squeezes Roger’s hand and gives him a sad smile. Life isn’t always what you think it ought to be, no she isn’t even gray, but she buries her baby.

The preacher speaks up, “We’re here to honor Specialist Brian May who was fatally wounded in battle.” Brian died on his 19th birthday, he never woke up from being shot,

The preacher said let us bow our heads and pray, “Lord please lift his soul and heal this hurt brave soldier. May he walk upon your golden kingdom.  Lord let this man walk freely beside you, may he no longer be suffering or in pain.”

Then the congregation all stood up And sang the saddest song that Roger ever heard

Then they handed Roger a folded up flag and told him how sorry they were for him. And he held on to all he had left of Brian  and what could've been.

And then Brian’s military buddies did a three-volley salute. It felt like a bullet in Roger’s heart as the casket is lowered and his love is covered by the earth. He asks for a moment alone staring at the fesshly placed dirt and the new headstone placed in a day’s advance by the United Kingdom army.

He repeated himself, “Baby, why'd you leave me? Why'd you have to go

I was counting on forever, now I'll never know…” he hugs the tombstone tightly before leaving his heart shattered and in peices.

He heads home the sight of the empty home and knowing he’ll won’t have his high school sweetheart greet him anymore makes him sob. Roger climbs into their… his bed and hugs Brian’s pillow it still smells like him. Roger lets himself cry it out before going into the kitchen and drinking the wine he bought for when Brian would come home from the war. He downs a good bit of it, he keeps drinking as he stumbles into his bedroom. He nurses on the bottle like a baby would fresh tears rolling down he cheeks as he tosses the finished bottle into the trash and curls up in the much too big bed. His hand touches the necklace chain and he hand lowers to Brian’s ring which was given to him a day before the funeral, he touches again and feels Brian’s dog tags. He closes his eyes and wishes it was all a dream.