𝟑𝟗.𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐦 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐜𝐚𝐮𝐬𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬

I woke to a crash outside scaring the shit of me. My body jerked up and i glanced around.

My eyes shot open blinking to adjust my eyes to the dark room. I could hardly see. Just pitch black darkness or the red bedroom.

The only source of light was from the windows that shone through the moonlight, making the raindrops on with glass shimmer.

It was just thunder.

I sighed in relief and looked around the bed.

Ayla was cuddled up to Luca's chest who had an arm around her protectively. James was facing me fast asleep with one of his arm laid under my pillow.

I carefully laid back down on my pillow, making sure not to wake him.

I can't sleep on my back. Never have, never will. I flipped over to the face the opposite way of James and shut my eyes.

Roaring of the storm echoed through the room, bouncing off walls, and landing in my ear with a crash. How was no one else awake?

I fiddled with my fingers as i waited for myself to get tired again. I counted them up and down, bending and twisting them in the dark.

I lifted my head and positioned it on my pillow multiple times trying to find a new position which would be hopefully more comfortable.

Still couldn't sleep.

Counting sheep jumping over a fence didn't work, nor did counting back from ten.

Maybe if i tried the other side.

I flipped over to face James. A James with his eyes opening staring at me with annoyance.

I jerked back in horror, then realised that it was okay.

"Ants in your pants?" He asked in a low voice not moving from his position.

My head shifted back to its position on my pillow, "No?"

"No? What's causing you toss and turn on my poor arm?" He retracted his hand from under my pillow. The only way i could see was the moonlight casting through the room.

I smiled awkwardly and took his arm into mine hand,
"I'm sorry James' arm that i can't sleep." I kissed it gently then through it back at him.

He put his arm back under my pillow, "Why can't you sleep?"

I pointed up to the ceiling. As if i was Zeus, another thundering cry echoed through the cold room.

"Ah..." James replied after a second or two, "Well, have fun with that." He shit if eyes and sighed as he tried to go to sleep.

"Okay then. Be a dick." I muttered as i shut my eyes following his lead.

Every time a thunder of clouds of a flash of light flew through the room, my body jolted in shock and fear.

I laid there, silent. Trying to sleep for atleast 10 minutes until i heard an exaggerated sigh from in front of me.

"Scarlet?" A familiar voice called out quietly.
I hummed in response.

"I can't sleep." James admitted as i felt the bed shift. I opened my eyes and saw him perched up on his elbow facing me.

"Turnabout is fair play." I mumbled as i opened my eyes to stare up James who was looking down at me.

His tongue rolled on his bottom and, and he sat up.
"I'm going to the lounge room. Feel free to join." He rolled off the bed and walked out of the door.

As the door shut, i looked over to Luca and Ayla who were still sound asleep with all the ruckus.
Wish i was them.

I stayed in the bed until another blared through my brain. Loudest one the lot. I practically ran out of the room to lounge room downstairs.