Round Up

A bird flew by Jackson's head. He dodged it, but it circled and came back. He stopped and batted at it to try to deter it. It fluttered up and away, but came circling back. He was getting annoyed. He tried to tell it to leave him alone, but every time he opened his mouth to speak, it disappeared from ear shot. He started walking again.

The bird's insistent fluttering made it difficult to concentrate on what was going on around him. All he knew was that it was night and he was in a city. The stupid bird took to chirping loudly in his ear every time it circled around and passed by his head. It was black. A raven. Nevermore.

"Nevermore!" he yelled at it when he saw it coming again. It came to a mid-flight halt, cocked its head as it hovered, and then took off into the night sky. Jackson looked around, but it was gone. Finally! He laughed. Victory! There was a strange mist rolling around close to the ground. His feet were hidden. He realized he didn't know where he was or why he had come.

Up ahead a dark figure came into view, silhouetted against a vast night sky with mist curling and coiling around his legs and cape.

Cape?

It dawned on him. This was another dream. The dark figure turned to face him. Black cape. Black mask. Black suit. Green electricity crackling around the chest emblem and the eyes.

Father Time.

"What now?" Jackson asked, having the urge to harass this... being.... for whatever reason. Maybe because the guy was so lacking in a sense of humor. So serious.  

He smiled at the magnificent sight his alter-ego made.

Father Time moved closer and they stopped about two feet from one another. Jackson gazed at him and waited for an answer.

"You are going to take a dangerous risk." Father Time spoke in Jackson's own low growl.

"I am. I have to. We need to find out where these people have moved their operations."

Father Time turned and seemed to be looking off into the distance. He crossed his arms and was quiet for a moment. Finally he turned back to Jackson.

"Perhaps you should allow me to deal with the situation. You are incapable of using your... our powers. I can handle the enemy much more effectively with the ability to alter time." He squared his shoulders back and locked his hands behind his back.

"You don't think I can handle it? Without the use of 'super-powers'? I'm a cop. A damned good one. I've been in tight situations and did fine without using 'powers'."

"You have only been a cop without the use of your abilities for the past year, remember? And several times you have almost got yourself, and me, terminated."

"You sound like Arnold Schwarzenegger."

"Regardless."

"We handled the last situation alright. We'll handle this one, too. If we need Father Time instead of Jackson Wolfe, you'll be here... right? I think we both need to put a little faith in one another."

"It is easy for you to place faith in me. I am nearly invincible..."

"Then what are you worried about?"

Father Time was silent. He gazed at Jackson thoughtfully. At least that's what it looked like he was doing. The mask made it difficult to tell. He stepped closer to Jackson.

"You seem lacking in.... the capability to take this situation seriously. It isn't a joke, Detective. In the wrong hands, we have the potential to become one of the deadliest weapons in existence. I need to know that you are aware of what I am capable of. That it wouldn't take much to evolve us into what they had intended. You alone stand in the way of my becoming a ruthless, heartless killing machine. Because of who you are and the strength of your character, I am what I am now."