Recaptured

Jackson took Natasha with him to his apartment. He figured that was where they were sure to be looking for him. They likely had men stationed there watching to see if he was careless enough to try to go home. He was counting on it. He unlocked the door and they stepped inside. Natasha went over and flung herself down on the sofa. She stretched her long legs out and crossed her feet on the coffee table. Jackson walked over and knocked them back to the floor.

She sat up and gave him a murderous look. He ignored her. He looked around the apartment. He was checking closets and cupboards. "What are you searching for?" Natasha asked.

Jackson didn't answer. Instead, he gazed at the ceiling in the hallway. He walked down the hall and at the end, reached up and put a finger into a small hole in the ceiling. He hooked his finger and felt a latch. He gave it a tug and a small trap door opened up into darkness. He reached his arm up and felt around. 

His hand grabbed onto something and he pulled gently. Out onto his head tumbled a wad of black cloth, metal, and other material that felt like some kind of rubber. He stood there a moment looking down at the stuff at his feet. Slowly, he leaned over and picked up a sheathed knife. Then he reached down and picked up the mask.

"Well, well." Natasha's voice startled him. "Looks like you've found your alter-ego's hiding spot."

"I never realized there was a trap door there." He looked back up at the hole in the ceiling. He scooped everything up and went into his bedroom. He yanked a duffle bag out of his closet and put everything inside it, as neatly as possible. Once it was zipped he swung it over his shoulder and turned back toward the doorway. He went out and shut the trap door and headed back into the front room.

"Let's go," he said to Natasha. She shrugged and followed him.

Jackson opened the front door and came face to face with a rifle. "Don't move," the accented voice ordered. He slowly put his hands up. Natasha did the same.

The man holding the rifle was short and stocky. He let out a whistle and three more men emerged from the bushes and shadows. They quickly descended upon Jackson and relieved him of his weapon. They approached Natasha and she stepped closer to Jackson. One of the men reached out and grabbed her. She twisted out of his grasp, but was met with a small pistol in the hand of one of the others. He shoved it into her face. "You will do as you are told. This way we won't have to kill you," the man with the pistol warned her.

They quickly frisked her and then herded them both to a waiting vehicle. It was another Hummer like the ones they had been driving in the desert. Jackson and Natasha climbed into the back. Something hard whacked Jackson in the back of the skull and everything went black.

...........

Chief Munson stood in his small office with two men. One was General Faulkner and the other was his contact in the National Guard, Major General Samson Hawk. Both men had listened to the Chief's tale with disbelief written all over their faces. The Chief knew they believed he was telling the truth, but it must have been difficult for them to accept that what he told them was going on without anyone doing anything about it.

"I plan to arrest everyone at the facility my detectives point me to. They'll be charged with kidnap, terrorism, and any number of crimes against International Law. What happens from there is up to the courts." He looked at the two men and crossed his arms over his chest. They both seemed at a loss for words, so he gave them a moment.

Finally General Faulkner spoke. "Chief, I've got your back, you know that. I don't know what any of this is about, but we'll be there to cover you while you round these people up."

Major General Hawk seemed a little more skeptical. "You say that the F.B.I. dropped the ball on this situation? I don't get why they would do that," he said, stroking his chin. "What would cause them to just let it go?"

Chief Munson shrugged. "If I knew that, I probably would have the situation already under control," he replied. "If you are worried about having to answer to anyone for the arrest of a group of people who have committed acts such as kidnap, unlawfully operating on someone without their consent, murder, terrorism.... Scientific research that has not been approved through the correct channels in our country. If you are worried that you might be held accountable for assisting in making arrests for these crimes, well... no one is forcing you to help."

The young Major General seemed thoughtful. He hadn't been around as long as the other two men in the room. He was obviously still very cautious and careful about what he did and said. He hadn't made it as high in the ranks as he was by jumping head first into any situation that arose.

Finally he nodded and held his hand out to the Chief. "I'll get my troops ready, Chief. We'll be prepared to move on your word."

Chief Munson shook his hand and smiled. "I appreciate your support, Sam. You're a good man."

The three leaders all shook hands again and parted ways. Everything would be ready when the Chief got the call.

..........

Macy was pacing up and down the training area. She stopped and glanced at her watch and then turned for another brisk stroll. She nearly slammed into Jordan and she let out a tiny squeak. "Jordan! Why on Earth are you standing right there? You see me pacing back and forth like a caged leopard!"

Jordan grinned. "Yeah, I see you. That's precisely why I stood there. You need to chill, lady! Why don't you take a little walk with me? Get some air?"

She looked at him and then glanced around at the rest of the team. They all seemed absorbed in their own affairs. Jerome just stood framed in a large window, his wings folded around him. He looked like a statue. The Oracle was sitting on the floor by his feet with her arms out at her sides in a meditative pose. Her eyes were closed. Vivian was reading and Anthony was talking to Lillian. Everyone seemed relaxed except for Macy.

She sighed and looked back up at the boy with the green tinted hair. He drew his hand from behind his back and produced a small, snow white lily. He handed her the blossom. She gasped and smiled at him. "Oh, alright," she finally said. "What could it hurt? Let's take a walk. You can show me around the outside grounds."

She linked her arm in his and glanced back over her shoulder. Lillian had looked up from her conversation. She stared at them for a moment and then nodded at Macy. "Be careful, you two," she called out.

"We're just getting some air," Macy sang back at her and then allowed Jordan to lead her out of the hotel.

Edited. 

(A/N: Some of you have expressed concern about my plot going where it has with Russia and China attempting to create a weapon to be used against the U.S. I must say that I have absolutley nothing against Russia or China. I simply chose them because it's the most realistic. Russia and China are not U.S. allies, they are rivals. They fit into the story because of that. It is, however, just a story. Please do not anyone be offended and also... don't stop reading. You have no idea how it will really turn out. Things are not always what they appear to be. Things are not always what someone thinks or says they are. Don't stop reading because you are offended. No offense at all is meant in any of this book. Except maybe toward governments in general. Governments in general suck. If you are reading and you are part of the C.I.A. or a member of congress or, I don't know, a politician... well, you can be offended, because you people kind of suck. Especially if you are part of the Federal Reserve. Then you really should take offense. Big bank people, too. And those Wall Street idiots, I can't remember the name of that one group.... Anyways, there. The rest of you, don't forget to vote and stay tuned.)