Suicide Scene

When Macy finally emerged from the Chief's office, Jackson stood up and grabbed his keys, gun, and badge. He waited for her to make her way across the room. She chitter-chattered with everyone she passed along the way. Finally she reached their desks and continued to babble incessantly as she started to lower her round butt into her chair. She squeaked in shock when she was pulled back into a standing position by her elbow.

"Get your things. We're going somewhere," he growled.

"Oh! Whe-" she began, but he cut her off.

"Just let’s go. I'll fill you in along the way."

She looked excited as she grabbed her purse. Her blue eyes sparkled.

"Ooh! Are we going to chase vigilantes? Are we going to investigate crime scenes? Where are we going, darling? Are we going to check out the scene of that suicide?" she babbled in her high-pitched, girly voice which climbed an octave or two whenever she got excited.

Jackson gave her a side-long glance as he guided her out of the station.

"Actually, the latter," he told her hoping it would satisfy her enough to stop her talking.

It didn't. She continued to chatter the entire way to the truck. When they got there he opened the passenger door and watched her comical attempts to climb in as she continued talking. She kept falling back to the ground with a squeak before reaching up and trying again.

He stood back for a while, shaking his head. His shoulders trembled with suppressed laughter. Finally on her fourth attempt he reached up and placed a hand on her bottom. He gave her a little shove that sent her sprawling across the seat onto her tummy.

She quickly righted herself and, without missing a beat, said, "Thank you, darling!"

Then she continued chattering, pausing only long enough for him to walk around and climb into the driver's seat.

"I was thinking, you know. What if someone was there to make the man kill himself? Maybe they deactivated the alarm system then activated it again when they left. You know? Maybe someone came in and they forced him to write that note. Then made him kill himself. I bet it was Father Time! From what I hear, he could make someone do that! He's very scary. Not like the other vigilantes. And he hasn't done much, you know, superhero stuff really. Like saving people from bad guys and such. You know? He's been seen around but mostly just asking questions and he's not very nice about it, either... and maybe somehow he found out what the bad politician was up to, right? And so he went to him to punish him and kill him, but then he thought, you know, he should make him commit suicide so his wife won't be a suspected. You know how much money she got because he died, right? Well, maybe he decided to make him kill himself after writing that note so she could stay out of trouble cuz she's nice and...."

"Macy." Jackson tried to stop her.

"...because she really is a good woman, I think! And I bet Father Time could find something horrible enough..."

"Macy!"

"...that would be worse than shooting yourself. Maybe he threatened to..."

"MACY!" Jackson roared.

He was entering freeway traffic now, with his eyes glued to the road. His sudden roar caused her to jump and her eyes flew to him, wide and startled.

"...to... to... make him..." It took a moment for her run-away mouth to put the brakes on. "Yes, my love?" she asked, looking up at him innocently.

"Can you just put a lid on it til we get there? I'm trying to drive without getting us killed and you're giving me a headache."

"Of course sweetheart! Why didn't you just say so?"