Oracle

The Falcon swooped in through the large, glassless window of the huge museum's top level. The top level was only about half the length and width of the entire building and no one ever went up there. There was nothing there but some scattered, long-forgotten artifacts that were broken, useless, and mostly worthless. It was his sanctuary. His safe haven. He kept a few items hidden amongst the riff raff. A mat and blankets, a small stove, a small portable refrigerator, some various items to cook with, personal items, and a few books. He didn't need much and kept his possessions to a minimum.

He landed gently and shook his wings once before closing them around him protectively. He was about to move forward toward his resting area when something caught his attention. His eyes darted around the nearly pitch dark enclosure. He could see well in darkness so it wasn't an issue. He was used to keeping to the night. He had less chance of being spotted by the general public that way.

Someone was there. Hidden from direct view but he could sense them. He sniffed the air gently. He didn't sense danger. He just sensed.... someone. A dark figure stepped out from behind the cover of one of the dust-covered objects that had an old, tattered sheet draped over it.

"Who are you?" The Falcon's voice was smooth as silk and almost musical.

"Please do not be alarmed. I mean you no harm," A female voice spoke back to him softly. "I need to speak to you." She had an accent. It wasn't strong but it was definitely foreign. The Falcon tried to place it and failed.

"You may come forward. Out where I can see you." He gestured for her to come toward him. She moved... no... More like glided out from her hiding place into full view. Over her head she wore a shawl of some sort which she reached up and lifted away, draping it around her shoulders so that he could see her face.

His breath caught in his throat when he looked at her. She had beautiful, milk-chocolate skin, hair that hung down her back in one thick braid, and she was dressed in clothing that would seem to make her... Jamaican! It came to him suddenly, and he was relieved to now be able to place her accent. The most striking thing about her were her eyes. They were a beautiful, glowing green. He knew those eyes. He'd seen them before...

"I am Tya. I am… different like you are and you can trust me. You have my word."

"I know that I can." He eyed her, his mind trying to place those eyes.

"I look familiar to you, yes?" Her eyebrows rose slightly in question. She was so beautiful. He found it difficult to find his voice. He stepped closer to her and breathed in as his sensitive sense of smell picked up her exotic scent. She smelled of vanilla and jasmine. It was intoxicating.

"Why are you here?" he asked, ignoring her question. Only a select few even knew of his existence much less dropped in to visit. His origins were a mystery even to him and he'd been fortunate to have been discovered by those he now considered his friends and even family.

..........

Tya moved a bit closer to the Falcon cautiously. She didn't want to startle him. She knew how sensitive this amazing bird-man was and how easy it would be to cause him to spread those giant wings and fly away from her. He had the instincts of a bird. A bird of prey but a bird none the less.

He didn't flee. In fact he seemed mesmerized by her. She wasn't certain that aspect of her power would have any effect on him but apparently it did. She didn't like to use it on anyone unless they were an enemy, but she needed him to stay. To trust her and talk to her. She didn't want to scare him away and have him deny her the chance she had been preparing and waiting for.

"I have been waiting for some time for the opportunity to speak with you," she began while slowly decreasing the hold on him, little by little. She didn't want him under her spell while they talked. She wanted him fully alert with his mind under his own control. "It seems the two of us have interests involving the same man. I should like to help you while, perhaps, you might help me." Her accent, although faint, added just the perfect lilt to her voice.