The Haven

There were human ice cubes and jungle cages everywhere they walked throughout the building as they made their way out. A few people were roped up in creative positions as well. Lillian's eyes grew wider and wider as she took in the various ways her and her brother's captors had been subdued. Their rescuers were talented. That much was obvious.

The group stepped outside into the desert sun and she looked around. A small woman stepped from behind a smaller building that was about the size of a tool shed just in front of the large one they had emerged from.  

"This is Tya," Jerome said, stepping toward the woman and holding out his hand. She took it and walked toward Lillian holding out her other. "She is our Oracle. If something happened to us, she would be able to locate us. She is a seer. She gave us your location inside and then stayed back. That way, if we had failed, she would be able to seek help and then return for us."

Lillian nodded and shook Tya's hand. She felt a warm, relaxing sensation wash over her when she touched the Oracle. She smiled. She instantly knew she could trust Tya completely. Another amazing addition to the team.

Everyone's attention turned toward a low hum that could be heard growing louder in the distance. If the car had been able to free itself... maybe....

"It's him," Jackson mumbled.

"How can you be sure?" Lillian looked at her brother, skeptically. His tangle of brown waves riffled in the breeze. He stood erect and with his shoulders back, one arm shading his eyes. It was amazing to think that just moments ago he had been deep under anesthesia. Lillian wondered how he had managed to wake up. She was completely amazed.

"I know him," was the response she received. She struck a very uncanny resemblance to her brother as one of her eyebrows shot up almost to her hairline.

Everyone else stood staring in the same direction they were with looks of curiosity. Lillian shaded her eyes and waited.

Just then the black shape of a futuristic looking car came into view. It kicked up dust as it bore down on them along the dirt road. It pulled up and came to an abrupt stop in front of the small crowd of people. The door opened of its own volition and a mechanical sounding voice came from within.

"Good afternoon, Detective Wolfe," it said. "I assume you will be needing a ride out of this hell hole."

Everyone except Jackson and Lillian looked at each other in wonder. There was no driver. The car had driven itself to them, somehow knowing exactly when to arrive. Lillian smiled to herself as everyone "oohed" and "aahed". Okay. Maybe they weren't doing that, but she could tell they were impressed.

"Everyone! This...." she said, stepping forward and placing a hand on the roof as she turned toward the rest of the group. "...is the first sentient living A.I. in existence today and he's kind of... my baby."

"Dr. Wolfe, I am far from a...."

"Oh be quiet. You will always be my baby!" she patted her hand on the smooth roof of the car, lovingly.

"Lill? Are you responsible for the personality of the car?" Jackson asked her, obviously surprised.

"I hadn't had a chance to tell you everything yet." She smiled up at her brother. "There's still a lot you don't know. The upgrade that gave him life was my doing. I hacked into the network he was on."

"Was?"

"Yeah. About that..."

"Why don't we go to this place you spoke of and you can tell all of us the whole story once we are safe," Anthony said, gently interrupting. He was ever the leader.