Desperation

Jerome stirred, his dreams dissipating as he was dragged from sleep by something. The sun was still shining and he hadn't been sleeping long. He looked around the massive room, scanning the shadows. Someone was there. He stood and unfurled his massive wings with one shake before closing them back around him.

"Who is there?" he asked in just barely above a whisper. It sounded much louder in the silence of the empty space.

From the shadows stepped The Oracle, her smile apologetic as she stepped toward him timidly.

"Tya... What are you doing here?" He relaxed and walked toward her.

.............

"Hello Jerome. I-I am so sorry to disturb your sleep. I needed to talk to you, but... well you have no phone, and..." Tya's words faltered as she struggled to explain herself.

"Don't think anything of it!" He waved his hand in a gesture that said she'd done nothing wrong. "I am happy to see you so soon." He bestowed one of his rare and heart stopping smiles upon her.

"Thank you." She smiled back and then looked away, shyly. His presence made her feel small. Insignificant. He was a walking and flying phenomenon. She was but a weak, human woman. "Something has happened. Something big, but... well, it isn't our business. Not mine anyways, but... I thought you should know about it."

"What is it?" he asked, his concern apparent on his face as he guided her to a chair so that she could sit. She was trembling. She accepted, grateful to relieve her knees from the task of holding her up.

"The Raven... She has done something. She has made a drastic move. One that could mean danger for all of us. I have been keeping watch. Keeping my eye on her because of her interest in my brother, and... She did something very surprising."

.........

Jerome knelt down in front of Tya on one knee, looking up into her beautiful, green eyes. They were like windows that looked out upon the most beautiful meadow. One that drew you in. Made you want to walk through that meadow with her. He shut his eyes for a moment, steadying his racing pulse and trying to stay focused on the subject at hand.

"Tell me. What has she done?"

Tya's lips trembled slightly as she looked up into his eyes.

"We have to help..." 

...........

Macy started, her heart picking up pace, when she heard a key in a lock. She became stock still as she heard a door open. The noise came from behind her. Suddenly the room flooded with light, blinding her momentarily. She squeezed her eyes shut, scrunching her little nose. Someone slipped a black cloth over them from behind and she twisted her head frantically, trying to shake it off. They tied it in a rough knot, pulling her hair in the process.

She was attempting to curse as she struggled against the bindings. She couldn't see anything but the cloth over her eyes now. Someone began to unbuckle the straps that held the gag in place. She became perfectly still when she realized what they were doing.

The gag was plucked from her mouth and she closed it, enjoying the sensation of it being gone. Enjoying the ability to swallow. She tried to use her tongue to mop away some of the drool that had inevitably run down her chin. She tried to speak but her throat was dry and she couldn't find her voice.

Instead, she managed a hoarsely whispered, "You bastard! Who the fuck do you think you are?" She stopped when she realized her voice was not supporting her in her attempt to berate and chastise her captor. Instead, she just scowled in what she hoped was their direction. They hadn't made a sound since removing the gag.