Birds of a Feather

"Chief!" Macy chirped into the phone. "We weren't able to get a specific location, but we are fairly certain they have him. In New Mexico."

"I'll assemble the forces out there, then. Any specific part of New Mexico?" Chief Munson asked.

"Before Albuquerque along HWY 40, but I don't know whether it's North or South. I was thinking you might just want to gather them in the city somewhere. Once I know more, I'll give you a heads up."

"You got it." Chief Munson cleared his throat. "Macy?"

"Yeah, Chief?"

"Whatever it is you two have going on behind my back.... well... I trust you. You know that. Just you be careful. I'm sure you have good reason."

Macy sighed, feeling like a ton of bricks had just been lifted. She hated not being completely honest with the Chief. "Thank you, sir. You know I love you. And I will be careful."

"Good girl. Keep me posted."

She hung up and turned to the rest of the group. 

Anthony nodded at her. "We ready?" he asked.

"Yeah. Let's go find them."

......

The pounding in his head had receded slightly, but Jackson still felt dizzy. The Russian guys guarding him kept babbling on about god knew what and he wished they would shut up. The door swung open and he raised his head up to see the psycho Dr. Kodiak enter the room, clipboard in hand.

"Ah! My favorite patient! How are we feeling?"

"Patient?" Jackson snorted. "You mean prisoner, don't you, you psychopath?"

"Psychopath? Well, that's rather harsh. So it's psychotic to want to advance science and technology? To want to bring us into a new era of discovery?" The little man clucked his tongue, tisk-tisking, and walked over to where Jackson was sitting, shackled to the chair.

"Let me explain what we plan to do with you, my friend." He pushed his glasses up on his nose and cleared his throat. "You are going to be quite an amazing piece of work. I will go in and make a few adjustments so that the technology implanted inside your brain will behave itself. Then I will be uploading a program. One that your sister should be thanked for, but she won't. I've adapted it to do what we need it to, of course."

"And what would that be?"

"Let's just say you will be much more compliant when we are done. Father Time is an excellent soldier and hit man. We just need him to hit the people we order him to hit. And how will we know who those people are?"

"I'm on the edge of my seat."

"His ability to read people will give us the information we need."

"Is that so? And I suppose these people will be Americans?"

"Oh, no no no." Dr. Kodiak shook his head. "You've got it all wrong. This isn't about our rivalry with your country. You see... your government is as much a part of this experiment as we are. There are several countries involved."

"Well, don't hold back, Doc! What is this really about, then?"

"Certainly not war, because I can see that is what you believe it's about. No. This is about elimination of the tainted bloodlines. We are going to ensure the elite of the human race are developed and the riff raff are weeded out."

"What do ya know? So, the crazy conspiracy theorists aren't so crazy after all. You bastards! Way to be subtle." Jackson winced as he laughed, hurting his head.