Good Night

Chief Munson hung up the phone and let out a sigh. He was just getting ready to stand up when a knock on his office door stopped him.

"It's open!" he called, gruffly.

The door opened and, just like it was any other day, Jackson Wolfe poked his head in. "You busy, Chief?" he asked with his lopsided grin.

The Chief let out a laugh. "Wolfe! You criminal! Get your ass in here!"

Jackson opened the door the rest of the way and sauntered in, followed by Detective Grey. She was smiling. The Chief got up and went around his desk. He shook Jackson's hand and gave Macy a quick hug. He received his peck on the cheek with grandfatherly delight and then returned to sit down.

"So! My dear boy, you have fallen head first into some sticky, deep bullshit, haven't you?"

"That I have, Chief." Jackson gave Chief Munson his usual wink and grinned again. The Chief had learned by now that the young detective usually did that when he was wanting to reassure the Chief that he had things under control. This time he didn't feel reassured.

"So, what did you two find out? What are we going to do about this mess?" Chief Munson folded his hands in front of him on his desk and looked from one of his prized detectives to the other. Macy had plucked her nail file from her bosom and was busily filing her nails. She seemed so unaffected by the dark side of life. It was one of his favorite of her quirks.

"Well... I think we need to call in the troops, Chief." Jackson spoke casually, but there was an edge to his voice.

"The troops, huh? As in the rest of the force? Or..."

Jackson sat forward. He shook his head. "No. As in the F.B.I. The Army. The National Guard. Along with the rest of the force. Every resource we've got at our disposal. Chief, this goes deeper than anyone knows. These people are attempting to create a weapon to use against our country and they are doing it right here on our soil. We've gotta put a stop to it."

Chief Munson sat back and narrowed his eyes at Jackson, thoughtfully. "I see. I heard a bit about it, yeah. You guys found out more?"

...........

Jackson proceeded to tell the Chief the rest of the story, carefully and creatively omitting Father Time and the vigilante team they had befriended. He didn't enjoy having to hold back, but he wasn't sure how much he wanted his boss to know. He was the Chief of L.A.P.D. Jackson didn't want to force something on him that he would feel obligated to do something about because of his position.

When he was finished, he stood and looked at the Chief with a smile. "Chief Munson..." He turned and opened the door, gesturing to the person waiting on the other side. Lillian walked around the corner. "I'd like for you to meet my sister. Dr. Lillian Wolfe."

Chief Munson stood to his feet and took Lillian's hand in his. "Well, little lady. It sure is shocking and amazing to make your acquaintance."

"It's nice to meet you, too, sir," she said smiling.

"Have a seat! Have a seat!" the Chief urged, ushering her toward a third chair.

"She has the information and knowledge we need," Jackson said after taking his own seat. "Now, they most likely pulled up the ropes and left the base they were using. They aren't stupid enough to stay there now that we know where it is. We need to find out where they are going to continue operating. I know how we can do that."

"How's that?" Chief Munson asked, his eyebrows raised in question.

"Me."

"You?"