The Painful Truth

Macy walked into the station, her heart sinking at the thought that Jackson wouldn't be there. She was tired. Jerome had made her a comfortable enough place to rest, but she was too worried about her partner. She had spent most of the night just pacing the huge upper level of the museum. Sleep had been fleeting, if at all.

She saw that the light was already on in the Chief's office and she didn't even stop to put her things in her desk. She didn't plan on staying. She knocked on the Chief's door and opened it when she heard him call to her to come in. She poked her head in. "You busy, Chief?" she asked quietly. He looked as tired as she felt.

"Come in, Cupcake, come in. Of course I'm not too busy for you!" The Chief waved her in.

She went in and sat in one of the chairs opposite him. She nervously twisted her hands in her lap. "Did you find anything out, yet? About Jackson?" she asked, her voice trembling.

"I sure did. I haven't slept a wink. Been here all night going over this stuff." He gestured toward a bunch of printouts piled on his desk. He didn't like doing extensive reading on a computer screen, so he usually printed things out. He didn't even have his own computer in his office, yet. Kimmie constantly pestered him to get one but he was stubborn. He told her that computer-related work was her department. Not his. It had been like pulling teeth just to get him to relent and get a cell phone. He finally did though, when he realized the kind of freedom it would give him.

"Anything interesting?" Macy asked, her blue eyes wide.

"Well! That is putting it very mildly, my sweet. It's probably good you are sitting down." The Chief eyed her, his eyes narrowed. "What I have here isn't even the whole story, but I've been able to piece together enough to give us a good idea who it is that's after him and how dangerous they are. Had to about threaten the F.B.I. with jail time to get them to give me what they had on file. It goes above them, though. There's some highly classified crap going on with our Detective Wolfe."

"W-well, tell me what you know so far." Macy's eyes were filling with tears.

"Listen to me, now Macy. This is going to be some difficult stuff for you to hear." Chief Munson leaned forward in his chair. "I know how sensitive you are, but you need to be a big girl, okay? We're going to do what we can for Jackson. He didn't do anything wrong. Not yet, anyways. Not that I can see here. Like I said, this isn't the whole story. Just a good idea of what might be going on."

Macy nodded her head and quickly brushed the tears off her cheeks. She swallowed, determined not to cry. "Okay, I can handle it. Tell me."

The Chief sat back in his chair again and gazed off for a moment, not sure how to start. Finally he just decided to get right to the point.

"They've done some kind of experimentation on Jackson. Scientists. Military. C.I.A. Top government organizations. I'm not exactly sure how high it goes, but while he was comatose after the accident back in Utah, they did some operating on him. There's information indicating that they were attempting to turn him into some sort of super soldier." The Chief paused there, assessing her reaction so far. Then he went on. "Our Detective Wolfe has some sort of super human ability, sweetheart. He's not normal. He doesn't know it and it seems they've done something to keep his ability in his subconscious mind, only. They've suppressed many of his memories from before the accident. He isn't even aware of having lost those memories."

Macy sat there, her eyes wide and her mouth open. She began to shake her head from side to side, slowly at first. "Tell me it isn't true, Chief! Tell me you've made a mistake!" Then she fell apart. "What did they do to him?" she screamed, standing to her feet. She had her fists clenched. "What the fuck did they do to him?" She was shaking from head to toe.