I'm sorry

uhh, look i'm in a keefitz mood and i have nothing to do (other than homework bleh) so here--

tw: death, ambulance/medical stuff, fighting, caps

word count: 1.5k

Life was filled with color.

Brilliant red roses, and sunset orange skies, bright green leaves in summer. Calm pale blues and cheerful yellows, violets that were rich and deep. Pinks and golds and teals.

When you're born, the world is black and white, shades of grey occupying everything. The day you meet your soulmate, the world gets a bit brighter. You fall in love slowly and soon, the world will fill with color, bright and beautiful.

Many were truly happy without a romantic partner, who found love through other things. Some people found several people they loved, happy in a polyamorous relationship together. Some preferred other kinds of love, platonic or alterous or queerplatonic. 

For the people who had soulmates, it was a constant search for them. There were a few who spent their whole lives looking for whoever they were to love. 

Keefe and Fitz were lucky to have found they were soulmates when they were only seventeen.

Growing up together as kids, knowing each other inside and out, being able to trust each other with their deepest, darkest secrets, it wasn't surprising really. That day they'd both confessed their feelings to one another, the bright teal of Fitz's eyes had suddenly come in view, the world slowly brightening with shades of green and blue and red. 

As long as they were together, purely and wholly in love, color would fill Keefe's vision. And he never wanted it to leave.

▪▪▪

The sky dimmed outside the window, blue fading into grey abruptly. The room suddenly seemed like it was shrouded in light shadows, and Keefe flinched, knowing what this meant. The soulmate bond was a tenuous thing, relying solely on emotions. Emotions that could change in an instant.

Fitz was pacing back and forth before his husband, wringing his hands desperately to the point where his knuckles were pale. Tension hung between them, tight and ready to break at a moment's notice.

And then it snapped.

Fitz started pacing even faster, his feet making soft thumps on the wooden floor. "Why would you do that, Keefe? It was stupid honestly, and--"

"And I don't know why I did it!" Keefe exclaimed, feeling tears already forming in his eyes. "I didn't think--"

"Of course you didn't!" Fitz suddenly stopped on his feet, glaring at Keefe. "You never think, that's your problem, isn't it? You make messes and it's up to us to clean them because you never think about your actions, never wonder who you may be hurting--"

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry, okay?"

"What does that help? You--you almost got..." Suddenly Fitz's face crumpled, tears streaking down his dark skin. He couldn't say it.

"I know," Keefe said, too exasperated to notice the anguished look on Fitz's face. "I know, and it doesn't help that you keep reminding me because I just want to forget and--"

"You can't forget it!" Fitz said loudly. "You can't just brush over it like it never happened because it did. Stop hiding Keefe, just face it for once instead of ignoring it because that's never helped us!"

Keefe's voice grew hard and sharp. "Never helped you, you mean. I personally, can handle it just fine."

"You can't handle it," Fitz whispered, all the fight gone from his voice. "Please just let me help. Let someone help, please."