"i'd rather be with you"

my writing process: do nothing. nothing at all. for a solid three days at least. Then you write a couple oneshots in a couple hours before retreating back into oblivion

also idk why but kesline gives me major sokeefe vibes and i love it

not proofread or whatever, lets hope grammarly doesn't fail me

also! i'm very proud of myself! i did a title! ...granted, its a bad title but yall should be thankful this isn't named "kesline thing" 

word count: 1.4k

tw: none i think. other than food, parents, but tell me if i should add anything

Juline let out what must have been her hundredth sigh that afternoon. She'd lost count after twenty of them, resigning herself to her fate. She would be having her Winnowing Gala that night,  no matter how many mysterious sicknesses she caught. 

She'd already delayed it as much as she could. Her mother had been bugging her for months, "Juline, just fill out the Matchmaking Packet", "Juline, it won't be that bad", "Juline, you're old enough now, you need to do it".

At one point, Juline had realized she may be able to slow her mother down, but she couldn't stop her. It was better to just have the Gala and get it over with, no matter how painful it would be.

She supposed she couldn't blame her mother for wanting Juline to have a Gala. Winnowing Gala's were a way to throw an extravagant party, which Juline's mother loved. They were ways to gain new partnerships, meet people higher up in nobility, show off your vast wealth, nevermind the fact that each elf was born richer than most humans were. 

They were an important Elvin tradition, no matter how twisted the mere idea of Matchmaking was. 

And anyway, Juline had never actually told her mother why she didn't want a Winnowing Gala. They didn't know she was secretly dating Kesler Dizznee, a Talentless elf who was sure to make her a Bad Match. 

She'd told no one, other than her sister Edaline, who'd taken it fairly well other than the brief comment, "why do you always choose the guys with weird hair?".

She wasn't ready to tell anyone else about her relationship, and neither was Kesler. And now she was suffering through her Winnowing Gala alone, without his terrible jokes to keep her amused through the stuffy gathering.

She had planned to hide behind the large group of guests, appearing as inconspicuous as she could, and wait the whole Gala by. But yet again, her mother disagreed with that idea and had picked out the flashiest, sparkliest, most eye-blinding and eye-catching gown she ould find. Any hope of appearing ordinary was clearly out of the question.

Juline wondered if she could bang her head against the wall without attracting any attention. But each move of her dress sent beads and bells tinkling loudly against one another. Another thing out of question.

She settled for leaning back against the wall and watching the Gala. There wasn't much to watch, the Gala was deathly boring. Nobles made small talk with one another, young men trying to out-impress each other with their status. No one dared come close to Juline, or she'd give them a look that sent them backing away.

Good.

Juline could feel her mother's disapproving stare from the other side of the ballroom, clearly annoyed that Juline wouldn't cooperate and dance like she was supposed to. Her mother started making her way closer to Juline, swerving around guests with grace and apologizing to the people she bothered. She made her way up to Juline and raised an eyebrow.