keefitz

my trashy keefitz fic I wrote in half an hour because I made my friends dare me to write something--

no, I don't know what I was thinking

also, what is wrong with the title, ack, I'm bad at this naming stuff

Fitz was shivering.

The cold winter air outside was absolutely freezing. And it didn't help that the wind had decided to come in at full force, especially since Fitz only had a thin jacket to wear.

Ugh.

Fitz tried to stay balanced on the tree branch he was sitting on. He had to stay hidden up here until the game was over and they'd all go inside Everglen where there was a warm crackling fire and hot cocoa and fluffy blankets that Fitz could snuggle in. 

Until then he'd be stuck high up in the freezing air as they all played Base Quest.

Fitz caught a glimpse of blond hair running through the grounds of Everglen. Keefe.

He stayed still, trying to not breathe, trying to give no clue that he was hidden up here. Keefe couldn't find him, or they'd all lose. Keefe stopped below the tree Fitz was in, surveying the area around. Fitz was frozen, trying to not shiver in the cold. Keefe shrugged. He walked away slowly, still keeping watch for anyone.

Fitz let out the breath he was holding, sighing in relief.

Keefe whirled around, his keen ears picking up the sound. His eyes slowly traveled closer and closer and--

"Found you!" the blond cried out, running over to the base of the tree. Fitz tried to scramble away, but he was never the best at climbing anyway. He fell.

The tree was short thankfully, and Fitz was pretty sure he had no serious injury. But ouch.

Keefe rushed to Fitz's side, worriedly looking at Fitz. "Are you okay?" he asked, concerned.

"Yeah," Fitz gasped out, gingerly sitting up. Keefe helped him stand, wrapping an arm around Fitz and making the telepath's cheeks warm.

Purely platonic, Fitz reminded himself. Friends do this all the time.

Keefe called out, to everyone else, "Got him!" Sophie, Biana, Dex, Marella, Tam, and Linh were waiting for them near the porch.

"Finally!" Biana cried out. "You guys took forever!" The youngest Vacker's teal eyes darted from Fitz's reddened cheeks to Keefe's arm wrapped around Fitz. A smirk played on the edge of her lips, and Fitz internally groaned.

Note to self: Never ever tell Biana about your crushes

"Anyway," Biana said, winking at Fitz. "We have hot chocolate inside. And Mom's famous sugar cookies. Come on, we've been waiting in the freezing cold forever."

"Who's idea was it to play Base Quest anyway?" Marella muttered. "I nearly got frostbite."

"It was yours," Dex pointed out.

"Whatever."

▪▪▪

10 minutes later, they were all in the Vacker living room, sipping hot chocolate and watching How The Grinch Stole Christmas--a classic, and also Biana's favorite.

Fitz had tried very hard to ignore that Keefe had snatched the spot next to him. He focused on the movie, occasionally stealing snacks for Biana and Linh. 

About halfway through, Keefe's head started drooping. Lower and lower until it finally dropped on Fitz's shoulder. 

Fitz froze.

He tried to figure out what to do, but nothing in school had told him how to act when a cute boy who you've had a crush on for years falls asleep on your shoulder and is now hogging the blanket.

So naturally, his mind decided to go into gay panic.

Biana, who was on the floor next to him, sent a look that seemed to say, "AWWWW YOU BETTER NOT MESS THIS UP."

Fitz sent back a look, one that conveyed plenty of choice words.

Moving Keefe carefully into a more comfortable position, Fitz settled down to try (and fail) to watch the rest of the movie. It was interesting enough he supposed, although not his style.

As the movie ended, Keefe awoke with a start, and Fitz tried to not notice how adorable Keefe looked when his hair was mussed up.

"Hmm?" Keefe asked, looking drowsy. His eyes widened as he realized the position he was in. "Gah!" He scrambled away from Fitz awkwardly, almost falling on Sophie (who glared at him in return).

Keefe's cheeks were bright red with embarrassment, and he stumbled over his words. "Ack, sorry for falling asleep on your shoulder Fitzy, I didn't mea--" 

"It's fine," Fitz interrupted. Keefe nodded, clearly unsure about that. Fitz added for emphasis, "It's completely fine." 

Keefe nodded and moved back to his original spot next to Fitz. Biana started the next movie, A Christmas Story, and they all settled in to watch.

Somehow, over the course of the movie, Keefe and Fitz once again found themselves closer than they expected. 

But they didn't mind.