Before Sophie-Biana

Before Sophie- Biana

"Ugh, Biana. Did you take my Ripplepuffs?" Fitz called from his room.

Biana stood in the doorway, with her hands on her hips, annoyed. "No. And even if I did, it's fine. You have a dozen boxes of them."

"I do not!"

"You do. I can show you if you'd like."

Fitz grunted and turned away. Biana took it as her cue to go back to her room to get ready for school. She applied makeup and did her hair into a complicated hairstyle, and then went with Fitz to Foxfire.

When she got there, Fitz left her for Keefe. Biana couldn't hide the fact that she had a crush on Keefe. She had for a long time since school had first started several months ago. She had hope, that maybe one day he'd realize he liked her in that way too. Until then, she would wait.

Waiting was taking a very long time.

Maruca joined her, and they talked about different things for a while. As Maruca talked about the new store in Atlantis that had just opened, Biana let her mind wander, only half-listening to Maruca.

It wasn't that she didn't care. Because she did. But for some reason, that day she'd felt different. Her thoughts were darting everywhere, from school to friends, from her brother to humans. She couldn't tell why she was feeling that way.

Biana spied Keefe and that girl from yesterday at lunch talking. Their conversation seemed to include a lot of yelling and hand waving. They seemed to reach a conclusion, that involved the girl crossing her arms and Keefe trying to calm her.

She noticed a boy with strawberry blond hair hurrying past the groups of elves. She vaguely knew him as that one boy who had bumped into Fitz yesterday. He didn't even apologize, but it wasn't like he had much of a chance to. What was his name? Deck? Desk? Debt?

She often wondered about the other people at Foxfire. The ones who people didn't notice. That quiet boy, the feisty girl, plenty of other people. That curly-haired energetic boy, the one who sat with those people who seemed to always have some drool on them.

They were all on the sidelines, away from the spotlight.

Unlike Biana.

Unlike her whole family.

She'd noticed people whispering about her, and shooting glares at her. She could honestly understand why. She was often a brat. It wasn't fair that she got so much, just because of her last name.

But she couldn't change it. It wasn't like she could detach herself from her family. She loved her family.

It wasn't her fault.

But at the same time, she wondered if she could change other things. Maybe she couldn't change her last name, maybe she could love her family, but she didn't need to be a snob.

Maybe she could try.

But it was hard. She'd try to help someone, and they'd either be suspicious or way too nice, trying to get access to her families' fame.

It wasn't like her family noticed her anyway. Her brothers got all the attention. Her parents loved her, but her aunts and uncles and whatever pretty much ignored her. That was the problem with having a family that consisted of dozens of people.

They can't pay attention to everyone. Especially not the typical pretty little sister.

She was average. Common. Ordinary.

But Biana would change that. She didn't know how, but she would be different, be free from stereotypical expectations.

She would make her own legacy.