"let's ditch"

why am i so bad at titles--

also here, some random and incredibly sloppy and unedited sokeefe thing i did today gayfadsjkl also writers block is a [redacted]—

also uh. small self-advertisement: i kinda spontaneously decided to write an assassin!linh thing, i'd link it but sadly wattpad wont allow me. anygays if you want, check it out lol

warnings: none i think? lmk if there are any

word count: 1k

"Foster? Foster, are you even listening? Foster."

Sophie abruptly snapped to attention, her head jolting up as she hurriedly tried to pretend she'd been listening the whole time. "Yeah? Yeah, I'm paying attention—"

Keefe raised an eyebrow, clearly not fooled. "Right."

Sighing, Sophie mumbled, "Fine, maybe I wasn't." Light-heartedly shoving a pillow at Keefe, she added, "I'm sorry babe, what were you saying?"

Keefe laughed and repeated, "I was saying that my dad's making me learn how to dance. Like, ballroom dance."

Sophie snorted. "Does anyone even do that anymore?"

"Ballroom dancing's a big thing here," explained Keefe. "Especially for the old snoots who've been in the Nobility for a long time. I took lessons for a couple weeks as a kid but my teacher quit soon after for unknown reasons."

At that Keefe gave a knowing smirk and Sophie stifled a laugh. "I can imagine," she responded.

Keefe nodded. "Yep. But anyways, apparently he wants me to start learning again? He says a person born into a status such as myself should know how to 'properly dance'. I already know the basics, I just need to... practice. With the full get-up and whatnot. Which means I need to practice dancing in heavy, stiff Elvin formal wear, plus I'll have to find a dancing partner to practice with. And I'm betting no one my age wants to sweat and dance nonstop for hours unless they absolutely have to."

Sophie let out a low whistle. "Wow."

"It'll be a nightmare," Keefe finished. He put his head in his hands, mumbling, "I don't even know to ask, how can I find someone to practice waltzing with me?"

"Who says you need to find anyone? I'm right here." Sophie gestured to herself.

Keefe shot up straight, eyes widening. "Shoot I'm sorry, I didn't think you'd wanna do that. Dancing in fancy clothes has never been your strong suit and.."

Sophie shrugged. "I mean you're right, it isn't my strong suit but I mean... I'll do it if it means helping you." 

The corners of Keefe's mouth lifted up into a smile. "Great."

▪▪▪

Walking down the hall, Sophie suddenly felt as if she'd been a bit hasty offering to be Keefe's dance partner.

It wasn't that she didn't want to help, she just couldn't see how she could help if she kept tripping on her own two feet every few steps. She thought she'd chosen a dress that was easy to walk in, but she kept stepping on the thick red folds of fabric or scratching herself on the many clusters of jewels sewn into the bodice.

She hadn't even reached the stairs and she was ready to rip this dress off.

Taking a deep breath, Sophie reminded herself that this wasn't really that hard, and anyways she was doing this to help Keefe so she could manage. Hitching up her skirt a bit, she continued down the hall, walking to the spiral staircase to get to the ballroom.

When she got to the room, Keefe exclaimed, "Finally! You're here." Turning to face her, he continued, "I was wondering whe--"

The sentence was left hanging in the air as Keefe stared at Sophie, mouth open and eyes wide, fumbling for words he couldn't find.

Sophie laughed at the dumbstruck look on his face, shoving him gently to get him to snap out of it. "I told you, stop doing that."

Keefe shook his head slightly, finally regaining his ability to speak. "In my defense you look awesome."

Laughing, Sophie brushed her lips against Keefe's and then pulled back. "Right. Well come on, let's dance."

"Do... do you even know how to ballroom dance?" Keefe asked warily.

"...No," Sophie mumbled, suddenly sheepish. "But uh... don't I just like, put my hands on your shoulder and... twirl?"

It turned out Sophie had a lot to learn about ballroom dancing.

Thankfully Keefe was patient with her, despite how many times she stepped on his feet or accidentally bumped into him. Eventually, she more or less got the hang of it.

"You got it!" Keefe exclaimed a while later. 

Sophie laughed in delight at having finally learned it. "Yeah, thanks." She pressed a quick kiss to Keefe's cheek. "Now come on, aren't I supposed to be helping you?"

"Oh. Oh right," Keefe said reluctantly. "I just thought... I don't know, that this was enough practicing?"

Sophie had to force down a smile at Keefe's pleading look, arguing, "Keefe it's been a solid fifteen minutes, we can't quit."

"Fifteen minutes is enough," he persisted. "Come on, don't you wanna ditch and—"

"You can't just ditch dancing practice." 

"Please. It's useless anyway," Keefe scoffed. "It's only to prepare for my Winnowing Gala and... well, even if my dad makes me have one, it'll be for nothing." His gaze softened as he looked at her and she felt her cheeks heat up in a rosy blush.

"And why is that?" she asked, already knowing the answer.

"You know why," he groaned. "You don't have to make me say it."

"Say it," she prodded.

"Fine." He took a deep breath and then said in a rush, "Because I have you and I love you and I don't need anyone else, now can you please stop laughing?" 

"That was so cheesy," Sophie gasped out between giggles, clutching her sides. "How do you think of this stuff? I could never."

Keefe crossed his arms in a mock-pout. "It's romantic," he protested. "For once, could you say something equally romantic back instead of laughing at me."

Sophie managed to collect herself, poking Keefe lightly in the arm and trying to get him to smile behind the fake scowl he'd put on. "This is my version of romantic, get used to it." When he kept refusing to smile, she sighed and wrapped her arms around him, lifting herself up to the same height. "Fine," she whispered, staring straight into Keefe's eyes. "I love you too."

"See, that's how you do it," he whispered back, finally grinning.

Sophie smiled back, leaning forward the final few inches and pressing her lips to Keefe's. Through the kiss, she murmured, "You're right, let's ditch."