Custard Bursts

This one is a Fedex request I got from the wiki and also posted here. And it shows Fitz baking because seriously, that should get more recognition. Fitz bakes for his friends, that is so sweet, and I don't know any boy like that.

"Wonderboy!"

Dex's voice echoed throughout the empty halls of Everglen. Why was it so big?

A distinct crash from one of the three kitchens (that Dex knew of) made Dex jump. Then a faint, "I'm here," came from the same place.

So that was where Wonderboy was. Dex headed there, noticing that there was a whole new array of family portraits decorating the wall.

There he was greeted with a white powder covered Fitz.

Fitz's cheeks were light pink as he smiled sheepishly at Dex. "So..."

Dex laughed, and headed over, lightly kissing his boyfriend on the cheek. "You're trying to bake?"

Fitz lifted his head in mock indignance. "I'm not trying, I am. I'll have you know I am very good at baking."

"Really?" Dex said skeptically, though a smile kind of betrayed the look.

Fitz laughed. "Yes. I haven't blown anything up or set the kitchen on fire yet, so that should count. And I've made Ripplepuffs before. I'm not that bad." 

"Mhm," Dex said, as he studied the dozens of pots and ingredients on the counter. "So why is there cardaroot instead of quesleaves here? You are trying to make custard bursts right?" he asked, pointing to the recipe clearly labeled Custard Bursts Recipe.

Fitz hurriedly switched the ingredients and looked at Dex. "If you're so good at baking, then you try it."

"Is that a challenge?" Dex asked, trying to hold back a laugh.

The corners of Fitz's mouth lifted up as he nodded. "Sure."

They both stood there, Dex wondering what to do, before Fitz made the first move, grabbing some polyflower.

Dex grinned widely and followed suit. What no one knew about him was he was actually a pretty good cook. He understood it, thinking of ingredients like chemicals in alchemy. Plus, he often had to cook for his triplets when his dad was working at the shop and his mom was off running an errand (he now realized it was probably just Black Swan stuff).

The while after that was filled with mostly silence, other than Fitz's humming (A habit Dex had originally disliked, but now adored).

Dex focused on mixing the ingredients correctly and quickly. About 15 minutes later, he was mostly done. Now, he just had to let the outside harden.

It was taking forever.

Why wasn't there some Elvin trick for that? Waiting was never one of Dex's skills, and the amount of time this was taking was ridiculous.

Finally, what seemed like hours later, the custard bursts were done. It only took forever.

He stole a glance at Fitz's custard bursts, which were actually pretty good. At least, Dex thought they were. He was judging by looks only. They were a little smushed, but other than that, pretty good.

Dex held out his plate of finished custard bursts and proclaimed, "I won!"

Fitz shook his head. "I need to taste them first." He grabbed one of Dex's custard bursts. "Let's see if yours are good."

He bit into it, and a look of pure joy crossed over his face. Dex half expected Fitz's teal eyes to turn into hearts.

"Dex, I think I'm going to have to break up with you," Fitz said seriously, although his smile showed he was joking. Mostly.

"And why is that?"

"Because I have now realized that my one true love is custard bursts." Fitz snatched another one from the plate and stuffed it in his mouth. "These are the best things I've ever tasted."

Dex's eyes widened as he asked, "Better than Mallowmelt?"

"Yep." Now Fitz simply grabbed the whole plate, as he bit into another custard burst.

Dex cried out, "Wait till Sophie hears that. She's going to kill you." He was only half-joking. Sophie was very serious about Mallowmelt.

Fitz didn't look the least bit scared. "Have you even tried these yet?"

Dex paused for a while, and begrudgingly picked one up. He bit into it, and...

Okay, scratch what he said before, custard bursts were the best, no doubt about it. He stuffed another one in his mouth, and flavor exploded inside his mouth.

Fitz was watching him with a look of amusement. "I guess Sophie's going to have to kill both of us."

"I guess she is."

(Agh, this is bad, I'm sorry about that)