Too Late

This is a Dexiana request I got on the wiki. Um, I have no inspiration for this, so yeah, this'll be bad, won't it?  

Also yes, I know the title is awful, I'm trying to think of a new one

tw: This one will have death and blood, and it's pretty descriptive too, so please don't read if it triggers you or anything

Also, guess what? I was in the mood to kill someone off in case you couldn't tell but hopefully, this isn't too sad 

Dex gazed at the beautiful mountains surrounding Rimeshire. Just beyond them was the sea, where kelpies often came. Every few months, their haunting songs would float in the air, ethereal and beautiful.

Kesler often dragged Dex out here, in the evenings where the Technopath was working on a new project nonstop. His dad would insist on going outside and they'd lay under the sky as he pointed out constellations, a human thing that both Dex and his dad loved.

Right now the night stars were twinkling, brighter than he had ever seen them be. If only this had been any other day.

This was the place where he and Biana had started dating. They'd made it official in this very spot. That day, Dex recalled, was a blur of laughs and kisses and an indescribable emotion that Dex could still feel.

This was the place it had begun.

But today, it would end.

▪▪▪

"You're not her." The voice was sweet and high like it belonged to a cliche pretty princess or a kindly old grandmother. But it was laced with poison, as deadly as the person it belonged to.

Dex forced himself to look up at Vespera. "I came instead. You're going to kill one of us anyway." It was either him or Biana. He couldn't let her go through it again. So he'd hid the note meant for her. She would hate him for it, but it was worth it.

"Oh, so we're doing that heroic sacrifice thing again? The brave prince rescuing the damsel in distress?"

Dex choked out a laugh, dark and humorless and so unlike the easy grins he normally gave to his siblings and Sophie and... Biana. "We both know that if anything, the roles would be switched," he said, his voice sharp.

"Yes, I suppose we do. The girl's quite strong, and feisty. I must give her credit for that," Vespera mused, rasing her head so her veil fell away and the moonlight illuminated her face. Her skin was pale, a sharp contrast to the dark makeup she wore.

Dex clenched his fists as white-hot anger, almost like bubbling lava, rose within him as he heard her speak. He allowed himself to curse under his breath. Sophie would probably look at him like he'd grown two heads if she was there. He never swore.

But Sophie wasn't here. No one was.

Plus, he was about to die, who cared?

"Get on with it already." The words were venom, spat out and dark.

Vespera sighed, looking bored. "Fine. Let's hope your little sacrifice was worth it." She reached into a pocket he didn't even know was there, and brought something out. Dex was hit with a new wave of terror as he realized something.

Dex wasn't ready.

He'd told himself he was. But when Vespera suddenly unveiled a deadly sharp throwing star, and her lips curled into a sinister smile, Dex realized that he was wrong. He wasn't ready.