loving you in secret

ik technically i was supposed to post the second part of that gold rush keefitz fic on saturday but that'll have to wait bc reasons, so here's another fic i wrote a couple days ago!! 

someone else HAS to have had to written regency era!sophiana before but if not, here it is lmao. basically, the vackers are some prestigious family. sophie is biana's handmaid and they have a secret relationship. and uh. yeah. 

i got bored editing this halfway through and it shows—

[if there are any inaccuracies in this i claim artistic license.]

warnings: homophobia is the main one! nothing is graphic, its just hinted at a lot. uh maybe bad parent? (though again, nothing in detail). lmk if i should add anything

word count: 3.3k (i swear i always write too much 😭) 

"I'm afraid to say I must be out for some days. I have an important matter regarding security to discuss with Lord Tibbott." Lord Alden Vacker speaks loudly and clearly, as if he is speaking to an entire hall filled with men unable to hear a word amid their chatter. Not to his wife and children, who are quietly seated in their respective chairs in the almost empty sitting room.

"When do you expect you will be back?" Della's voice is calm and demure, and Biana takes notes, though inside she is awhirl in joy at Alden's announcement.

"A week, providing no other complications arise."

A week. The things Biana could do in a week of complete freedom and pleasure. Her heart skips at the thought, and she dips her head lower to hide her growing smile.

"You must leave now?"

"The stablemen are getting my carriage ready as we speak," Alden says in response. 

Della nods, murmuring, "Then, we shall wish you well on your journey," and steps aside, letting her husband pass by her. Her head is bowed, his is held high. It is all part of the image.

Once Alden is gone, Della eyes her children, sitting in cream-colored chairs opposite one another. Biana is knitting, Fitz is reading, and both of them are waiting for their mother to say something.

"I trust you will be careful," is all she states, finally.

~~~

Night has fallen, and Everglen is entirely silent.

Some other houses may be awake at this time, windows lighting with the glow of chandeliers, shadows of nobles drinking and dancing. But Everglen is never like that. Lord Alden is a private man, and his family has too many secrets to flaunt. When dark comes, the house may as well not exist from the outside.

Biana's father is gone. The servants are downstairs, perhaps in the basement, as are the guards. There may be a spare gardener on the land, and Della and Fitz are tending to some matters in their chambers. The top floor is thoroughly empty, with the exception of Biana. And her handmaid.

Sophie latches the front door of Biana's lavish bedroom, effectively locking it to the outside. The curtains are drawn, and Biana had learned early on that no one can hear what is taking place inside her room unless it's very loud or the person's ear is pressed right up against the door. 

They are completely alone, and it is completely private. What happens in this room will forever stay a secret.

"Finally," Biana breathes, flinging herself back on her bed. Her smile is uncontrollable now. "Oh, Sophie, can you believe it? My father is gone—a week!"