"We'll work it out"

...here's the thing: a couple hundred words in, I realized this made no sense since there are human things in this and the timeline is all messed up so uh. that's a bit confusing. jUsT rOlL wItH iT oKaY--

just major trigger warnings for injury, bl/od, thunderstorms, betrayal, medicine and stuff like that, fire

words: more than 3.6k, it got a little longer than i planned and then I kinda had to rush it to finish it in time--

Another boom of thunder sounded outside. Linh Song suppressed a small yelp of surprise and burrowed deeper into her warm, fuzzy blanket.

The rain was pouring outdoors. Heavy droplets thudded against the windows and battered branches thwacked the walls on the outside as Linh curled deeper into her blanket. She squeezed her eyes shut, ignoring the raging thunderstorm outside.

The movie in front of her was still playing, a tragic drama where most of the characters got killed in some way or another as they fought for love-- the classic. It was Valentine's Day, after all, a holiday for love and drama and tears. 

Linh didn't have anyone to love, not anymore.

Stuffing her face with buttery popcorn, Linh gazed at the screen, trying to pay attention to the overwhelming amount of romantic tragedy in the movie. Outside the winds slowed a little, only to speed back up again. They'd said the storm wouldn't be too bad, but it appears they were dead wrong. Elvin technology may have been more advanced than those of humans, but the weather was an unpredictable thing, it seemed.

And then an eerie silence sounded, as suddenly the winds stopped and trees grew still. Linh got up cautiously and looked out the window. The storm had abruptly stopped, no warning or reason given.

Weird, she thought. A sense of uneasiness crawled up her spine as she shivered.

A tapping noise sounded and Linh jumped, still unnerved by the sudden silence. She glanced to see if it was just a tree branch slapping against the window again, but it didn't seem to be.

The tapping noise sounded again, and Linh walked cautiously to where it seemed to be coming from. She grabbed a broom for defense, in case it was needed, and stayed on high alert. Her heart pounded against her ribcage and her hands were sweaty, causing the broom to keep slipping out of her grip.

There. The noise was coming from the door.

Linh wondered who would be out during a storm like this. The rain was picking up again, raindrops pattering at the roof harshly and Linh could see leaves quickly blowing by in the wind. She pitied whichever poor soul found themselves stranded outside tonight.

Taking a deep breath, she arrived in front of the door, still at ready with her broom as a weapon. In retrospect, she probably should've gotten a better weapon, like a chair or vase or... or a frying pan maybe. A frying pan would be a good weapon.

Linh wrapped her hand around the cool metal of the doorknob, unlocking it. Taking a deep breath and then letting out a shuddery exhale, she cautiously opened the door.

"No," she breathed.

▪▪▪

Having a weapon doesn't do much good when you drop it right away.

Linh couldn't care less though, as she stared into the icy eyes of the girl in front of her.

Those same eyes she'd once gazed into with fondness and love. Eyes that had once been staring into hers intensely as they'd leaned closer and closer. Eyes that had haunted her dreams for years as she furiously fought back all the memories. (She'd failed of course. Remembering may have been painful but she couldn't give up those memories like that.)