Always

Okay, this is a soulmate story, where everyone has heterochromia after turning 16. So like one person might have brown eyes, but when they turn 16, one eye may slowly change to blue. Their soulmate would have the same when they turn 16, and when both fall in love with each other, the eye color goes back to how it's supposed to be. And that's how you figure it out. I've never done one of these soulmate ones though, so it's a first attempt.

Dex woke up that day, excited. It was his best friend Biana's 16th birthday, and the Vacker's were throwing a huge party. And considering the fact that it was the Vackers, it was going to be huge alright.

He ran to get ready, throwing on a simple T-shirt, one Biana had gotten for him on his birthday, a while back. He caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror.

His eyes were periwinkle and teal. They'd originally been periwinkle, but 2 months ago, on his birthday, one had changed. For a while, he and Biana joked about Dex's soulmate being Fitz, who was Biana's older teal-eyed brother. 

Neither of them had even talked about the possibility of it being Biana, who's eyes were also teal. They were best friends, and the chances of them being soulmates were close to none. Why joke about it?

Dex didn't say that sometimes he hoped it was her.

But they were best friends. He was never going to ruin their friendship, ever. No matter what.

His mom, Juline called him downstairs, telling him to hurry up. The entire Dizznee family had been invited, plus a bunch more people. It was a Vacker party after all. No celebration was too small to celebrate.

Finally, finally, after what seemed like forever, but was probably only a couple minutes, they got to the Vacker's house. It was beautiful, as always.

Della came outside to greet them. They'd come early, to help set things up. Dex looked for Biana when he'd said hi to everyone else.

He was about to call out her name when someone squeezed him tightly from behind. He laughed. It could only be one person.

"Biana!" he said happily. 

Biana let go of him and grinned, a smile that made her beautiful eyes sparkle. Dex studied one. It was getting lighter, more violet.

Biana nodded. "Yeah. I wonder what color it'll turn. Maybe grey. Or light blue. Oooh what about purple!"

Dex shrugged, still smiling. Biana had that effect on him. "No one can have purple eyes. Light causes them to look different, but I'm pretty sure no one's eyes are naturally purple." 

Biana rolled her eyes and laughed. "Thanks for the fun fact." Dex laughed too.

Biana smiled again, and hugged him quickly, before talking. "Fitz says to not be disappointed if it isn't who I hope it is."

Dex was curious. A flicker of hope stirred in him. "Who do you think it is?"

Biana looked at him incredulously. "Do you actually think I'm going to tell you?"

Dex shrugged. "You told Fitz."

"Fitz guessed." Biana shot a glare at where he assumed Fitz was, but turned back to Dex. "Anyway, can you want to help me with the flowers? Mom wants them so perfectly arranged, and I keep telling her the other way is better but she won't listen, so can you help us decide?"

Dex shrugged. Biana led him inside the house, and showed him two bunches of flowers.

They looked exactly the same.

Dex asked, in an attept to conceal his confusion, "Which one is yours?" 

Biana raised an eyebrow, obviously knowing what he was doing. "The left one."

Dex nodded, trying to look like he was thinking hard. "The left one," he chose.

Biana smirked. "The right one is mine."

Dex groaned. "Fine. I think they look the exact same. But, I'm pretty sure Fitz can tell the difference so ask him."

Biana shrugged and left. A minute later she came back with an annoyed Fitz. She pointed to the flowers and asked, "Which is better?"

Fitz rolled his eyes. "The left one, obviously." He left before Biana could say anything.

Biana looked injured, and turned back to the flower bunches, studying them like she was mentally comparing them in her head. Dex patted Biana's shoulder and said, "There there, your flower bunch is pretty too. Just not that pretty."

Biana laughed, and pelted flowers at Dex. They found themself running through the halls, throwing flower petals at each other. Dex turned around mid-run, laughing at Biana's face. He slammed into something.

"Ahem."

Dex regained his bearings, and looked at Alden, Biana's dad, staring at him with a half-amused, half-disapproving expression. Biana caught up to them and started laughing. Alden looked like he wanted to laugh too, but he managed to look kind of serious and say, "You guys need to help get things ready. Della is being a nightmare about the party." 

Dex brushed flower petals out of his hair and nodded. He set up the food along with Biana. By noon, everything was ready.

The house filled up quickly. Dozens of people came, maybe a hundred, or more. Dex was pretty sure half of them Biana barely knew. For the next few hours, They barely got to talk, other than the occasional hi, as Biana was swarmed by people and Dex... well he was just on the sidelines. 

Soon, it was time to cut the cake. Huge, white, and pink, the cake practically screamed fancy! Dex watched as Biana got ready to blow out the candles after everyone sang Happy Birthday. She seemed to be scanning the place, for someone.

Finally her eyes landed on his, and he noticed one was way lighter. She gestured for him to come up, and he obliged, a little confused. As everyone finished singing Happy Birthday, she squeezed his hand and blew out the candles. 

She looked at him right after, and with a start he realized her eye had completely changed. It was now a shade of periwinkle. The same shade as his eyes.

Don't jump to conclusions, he told himself. But he couldn't stop wondering and thinking and...hoping.

An hour or two later, the party had ended. Biana and Dex sat outside, looking at the decorations in silence.

"I guess this means something," Biana finally said.

"I guess so." Dex didn't know what else to say. It wasn't like this was for sure. Anything could be true. 

Biana let out a breath and said, "I guess this is as good a time as any." She looked straight into Dex's eyes, the same ones as hers and said, "I have a small crush on you. I have for months."

Dex fell off his chair.

Biana laughed and helped him up. Dex tried to figure out what was happening and managed to say, "Me too."

They sat in silence for a while, trying to figure out what to say. Biana suddenly declared, "This is not going to change anything."

"Yeah. We're friends first."

"Always."

"Always."

Maybe they were soulmates, but they would always be best friends first. Nothing would ever change that.

Ever.