The Final Matchlist

brant and jolie, whatever the frick their ship name is--

word count: almost 700 words its short--

Jolie steeled herself, taking a deep breath before entering through the door. The door to the Matchmaker's office. The door to the room that just might decide how she'll live the rest of her life.

Either in happiness or in shame.

She waited in the room, her lavender dress feeling silky against her sweaty hands. She tucked a curl of blond hair behind her ear and waited. And waited. And waited. The time felt endless, each tick of the clock marking another second that had gone by, another second closer to opening the scroll.

Finally, a raven-haired lady wearing bright red lipstick came. "Jolie Lucine Ruewen?" she asked in a high voice.

Jolie stood up. She reminded herself to be calm. "Yes?"

The lady motioned for Jolie to follow her, and said, "My name is Tarah. I will help you today." 

Just like I did last time. And the time before that. And the times before that, her gaze seemed to say, her eyes slightly narrowed in judgement. 

Jolie stood up, smoothing her dress before following Tarah into another dazzling room. Jewels were embedded into the hard chair she sat in. The Elvin world had always had a flair for the dramatic and this place was no exception

Tarah pursed her lips, looking at the papers she held. Jolie wanted to look away, but no. Be confident. Be strong. Be proud.

"So I see you're coming to pick up your 5th list?" Tarah's midnight blue eyes stared at her, and Jolie tried to not turn into a panicked mess on the spot.

Jolie nodded, trying to calm the bundle of nerves inside her. A strange desire to throw up overwhelmed her, but she stayed calm on the outside.

Tarah typed some more and then they waited to get the results of the final Matchlist.

Why did that sound so ominous?

Jolie held her breath as the scroll printed out. 

Please, please, please.

Tarah handed her the long scroll, instructing her, "Do not open it until you're out of the building."

Jolie nodded, showing she understood and clutched the scroll tightly as she left the room. She could feel Tarah's judgemental stare on her. But she didn't care. The only thing she cared about right then was on the scroll in her hands. 

Please, please, please.

She hurried out of the room, and the second she could, she leaped to Havenfield. There, in the middle of the hall, she ripped off the ribbon on it and pulled it open.

Please, please, please.

Names. So many names. 100 names each. 500 names in all. He should be one.

But he wasn't.

No.

Nononononononono.

NO!

Jolie screamed, rage and sadness overflowing. She was mad, angry beyond belief. She threw the scroll, with it's perfectly written words, into the wall. It clattered to the floor, unrolling in front of feet, once again showing the names.

It was just paper.

But the paper changed everything.

Did it?

It didn't change her love for Brant. The person who always stood by her. The person she would die for willingly. The person who she loved more than anyone in the world because he was him.

This didn't stop her love.

Jolie grabbed the scroll from in front of her, and with a hard look, she ripped it in half.

The paper was flimsy, easily broken. Unlike her.

Her fists clenched as anger overtook her again. She took a deep breath, and although she felt like punching something, she managed to calm herself down. 

And then she leaped to Brant.

He was outside his house, sitting on a swing. When he saw her, he smiled, but it quickly slid away as he noticed her expression. "What's wrong?" he asked.

Jolie said softly, "I went to the Matchmakers."

Understanding dawned on his face, and he immediately hugged Jolie. She sank into his embrace but refused to cry.

Because there was no reason to cry.

They would get through this, and they would stay strong.

They had to.

Yep, so this is it. I didn't really like it much, but it's good enough.