The Fair

This one is a request I got from the wiki a while back and I finally did it. So yay. But be warned, this one is kinda bad. Also, the characters are human in this.

"We're here!"

Sophie smiled at Tam, her happiness a little too infectious for his taste.

"So we're going to the fair?" he asked, staring out at the dozens of booths and stands and rides. The smell of cotton candy wafted through the air.

Sophie nodded, grinning. "Yep! Come on, what do you want to do?"

Tam shrugged, looking at a stand where you could get temporary airbrush tattoos. Sophie noticed, and glanced there too.

5 minutes later, Tam was getting an airbrush tattoo. A *Insert whatever you want him to get a tattoo of* to be exact.

Sophie had gotten one too. When they were done, she pointed to a ride, one that swung people from the air, spinning them around at what looked like lightning speed to Tam. "Come on, let's do that!"

Tam planted his feet firmly on the ground. "No," he insisted. He didn't mention that he was deathly afraid of all fair rides. Even one as tame as this one was.

Sophie asked, "Why? It'll be fun. We'll be able to see the whole fair from up there."

"We'll also be spinning at 100 miles an hour."

Sophie laughed. "No, we won't. It isn't even that scary, Tam."

"I'm not scared."

"Then why won't you come?" There was a challenge behind Sophie's eyes, and Tam never turned down a challenge.

But why this?

Tam sighed and willed himself to say, "Fine. I'll go."

"You're not being forced to," Sophie said, a smile on her lips.

"I know." Tam left it at that, and this time he was the one dragging Sophie to a ride.

After waiting in a short line, it was their turn. Tam braced himself as he sat in the seat, gripping the bar tightly.

Sophie, who was next to him, said, "Tam, relax. This isn't that bad. It's one of the tamer rides."

"Yeah. Got it. Tame." Tam squeezed his eyes shut as the ride started.

Why was it so fast? And high? And bright?

He was closing his eyes during the beginning, but partway through, Sophie said/yelled, "Tam, look!"

Tam forced his eyes open, but his bangs immediately covered his face. He shook his head, trying to be able to see something.

And he did.

By then, it was almost night. But the entire fair was lit up. The Ferris wheel off to the distance was glowing, as the lights on it changed from green to pink to blue. The different stands were filling the air with the smell of popcorn, something Tam could smell even from up where he was.

His stomach grumbled.

Now he wanted popcorn.

Great.

The ride slowed down, and finally, it was over. The first thing Sophie did when she got off was nudge Tam's shoulder and say, "That wasn't so bad was it?"

There was a note of smugness in her voice, that should have irritated Tam, but he just smiled. Yes, smiled.

Sophie was surprised, to say the least. But she quickly recovered and pointed to another ride, one even crazier than the last. With a glint in her eyes, she asked, "That one?"

Tam took a deep breath. The last ride was fun, he reminded himself.

"Fine. But only if you buy me popcorn after this. Large-sized."

"Deal."