as the fireworks paint the sky

i dont care if this is the most unrealistic thing in the world i just rlly rlly want sokeefe <3

warnings: hinting to a bad home life for a few lines

word count: 1.2k

Sophie is about to go to bed when she hears it. A series of patters against her window, small but sharp.

She's heard enough horror stories to know how this one ends, but against all instincts, she still turns to inspect the noise. There's no horrible creature staring at her from the window. Carefully. she peeks her head outside. It's dark now, but she can still make out a familiar figure.

It's not a horrible creature. Just—

"Keefe?" she calls in disbelief.

"Shh!" is the only response she gets.

"What on Earth," Sophie murmurs to herself, staring down at Keefe. He's just standing there, below her window. He must've thrown some pebbles up to get her attention.

Because, obviously, he wouldn't think of calling her Imparter. Because, obviously, he had to be extra. Standing outside her window at night like some creep.

"I'm sorry. Sorry!" Keefe exclaims, wracking his hand through his blond tousles and looking visibly frustrated, even from down there. "I don't know. I just didn't want to be home right now. And I didn't want your parents to know I was here."

"I'll be right down," Sophie says immediately.

Keefe looks immensely relieved and guilty at the same time. He opens his mouth to say something, but before he can, Sophie snaps the window closed and starts downstairs.

The first thing she asks when she reaches him is, "What happened?"  

Keefe is leaning against the wall and staring up at the moon, hardly a sliver in the sky. "Nothing. Nothing happened, I just—I couldn't. Stay there, I mean."

Sophie reaches out and grabs his hand, weaving her fingers through his. Keefe looks at her in surprise but he doesn't pull away, grounding himself in her grip. "Do you want to get away?" she asks, voice lower than normal.

"I mean, yeah, Foster. That's why I came here." 

"No, I mean away." He blinks at her in confusion and Sophie shakes her head, not sure how to say it. Instead she asks, "Do you trust me?"

"Always," Keefe laughs quietly.

"Then let's go."

~~~

"The Forbidden Cities." 

Keefe gasps in wonder, turning his head left and right, eyes sweeping around as fast as possible to take everything in. He repeats her words in an echo. "You brought me to the Forbidden Cities."

"Yep." Sophie grins a little.

"Where, exactly?"

"Trying to figure that out right now," Sophie says, scanning the area around her as well. They'd teleported to a street alley like she'd tried for, but now they're standing on the sidewalk and she isn't exactly sure where they are.

It's loud and busy tonight. Shopping centers line the streets, recognizable brand names in glowing neon. There are so many people walking around that it seems cars are blocked off from this area, though she can hear plenty of honks from somewhere around them. There's a large crowd on the other side of the street, but Sophie can't tell what they're all waiting for.