keefitz au

...so i got the inspiration from @lemontarto's post on tumblr and I did it no justice whatsoever but uh, here we are--

original post (yes i know links don't work on wattpad but uh, I'll figure it out): https://lemontarto.tumblr.com/post/639942289364484096/alright-so-keefitz-soulmates-au-where-you-can

also, i literally could not care less about the logistics of this, i know it makes no sense, just bear with me--

word count: almost 6.5 k i don't know why it got so long and in the end i just gave up and summarized it all i'm sorry but i'm lazy--

tw: food, mention of terrorist, alcohol mention, parents mention

"Do any of you know the capital of the United States?" 

Fitz absentmindedly twirled a pencil between his fingers, until he realized Mrs. Eggers was staring at him. Straightening up in his seat, he raised his hand, waiting for the teacher to inevitably call on him. 

Mrs. Eggers nodded at him and he answered, "Washington D.C. I think?"

Painted red lips curved up into a smile on Mrs. Eggers's face as fae nodded. "Very good!" fae said a bit too brightly, in an attempt to spark some cheer among the second graders currently dozing off in boredom.

It didn't work, but what else would you expect from a bunch of seven and eight-year-olds right before naptime?

Fae moved on to the next student, asking, "Keefe! Where does the president live?"

A boy with a mop of blonde hair snapped his head up, discreetly shoving the pen he was drawing with, away. "Uh-yes? Oh yes. Um, where they live... the White House," he answered.

Mrs. Eggers moved on to the next person with a nod, and the boy's startling blue eyes dipped back downwards as he picked up the pen once more.

A faint tingling started on Fitz's hand and he looked downwards, trying to hide the smile spreading over his face. Black ink spread slowly across his wrist, curving and twisting to look like a bunch of violets.

He didn't know where these designs were coming from, inked flowers and twirling vines that had been appearing for about a year now. It was a mystery, why they appeared, but for now, Fitz was content watching them spiral on his arm, growing in size and beauty.

▪▪▪

Fitz glanced down at his hand.

The designs were back. Black ink wound around his arm, morphing into detailed marigolds and breathtaking lilies. Rosebuds were forming, their petals unfurling slowly on his wrist. Lines made their way from place to place, drawing out an intricate daffodil in incredible speed.

Fitz had long wondered where the designs were coming from. They'd been appearing since he was six and a clumsy smiley face had appeared on his palm. The drawings had grown in skill over the next six years, the simple smiley face growing into detailed portraits, landscapes, or sometimes just a random object like an apple or pencil.

The designs that appeared most often were flowers. Plants of all kinds really, twisting leaves and curving vines or flower buds. Hyacinths and sunflowers, violets and lilies.

Fitz took care to not smudge the ink drawings, making sure to hide them under long sleeves or wristbands. He didn't want anyone else to see-- he didn't know why exactly, but the drawings felt secret, personal. Like they were meant for him only.

Which was probably stupid, considering he wasn't even the artist or anything, but he didn't focus on that.

Maybe these designs came from a person. Maybe there was someone on the other side who was drawing these.