the soulmates we made along the way

i needed aroace sophie and queerplatonic solinhiana let me be <3 i used to be obsessed w this ship i cant believe its my first time writing for them??

this entire fic is so so self-indulgent

word count: 1.7k

warnings: allonormativity? lmk if i should add smth

Sophie Foster is Linh's soulmate. 

She always has been, from the moment she was born and she opened her eyes and stretched out her hand, where curving black letters were inked into her skin: Linh Hai Song.

A nurse had come in right away. She glanced at the name on Sophie's wrist and wrote it down on a paper, as was protocol. She'd then swept away, leaving Sophie's parents to coo over their newborn child.

A few hours later, the name on Sophie's skin had faded away, leaving no trace of ink behind. Sophie was bundled up in a soft yellow blanket and taken home. She grew up in a happy household and she had never thought too hard about her soulmate, whose name she'd learn when she and her parents deemed it fit.

Sophie is now sixteen. She's learned who her soulmate is, and she and Linh are dating like they were always meant to be.

Linh's kind. Smart. Beautiful. She thinks rom-coms are hilarious and finds that pineapple pizza tastes wonderful. She adores all animals but favors kittens in particular. She's empathetic and hopeful and smiles through her scars. She's so many things, overflowing with love and so simply good it astounds Sophie.

She's the perfect soulmate. Sophie should be completely, absolutely, utterly in love with her.

And Sophie does love Linh. How could she not? Linh's wonderful, beautiful inside and out, a perfect friend. 

Just a friend, and that's the problem.

All the love Sophie has for her is purely platonic and never anything else. Soulmates aren't supposed to work like that. Soulmates are meant for a different kind of love. A love Sophie has yet to feel.

At first, Sophie could excuse her worries with a flick of her hand.

"I just need to get to know her better," she'd tell herself when she had doubts at the beginning.

"I shouldn't worry, maybe I'm just a late bloomer," she'd hope when she still felt nothing.

"Maybe this is romantic love and I just don't realize it," she'd think, desperate as the months pass by and nothing changes.

She's been dating Linh for a year. A whole year of wanting to love Linh the way she should and never managing it. Of faking as best as she could and constantly feeling overwhelmed with guilt because Linh... Linh doesn't deserve this. She deserves someone who will love her back the way it should be, according to the law of soulmarks.

And Sophie doesn't think she can ever do that.

~~~

When Sophie meets Biana Vacker, she's caught in a very unfortunate position.

A girl is peering up at Sophie, squinting. "Are... Are you doing okay?"

Sophie coughs uncomfortably, hanging limply from a tree branch her jacket had caught on. She's dangling about seven feet from the ground and has to crane her neck downwards to meet the teal eyes of the girl staring below.

"Yep," she lies through her teeth. The girl laughs and starts moving forward. Sophie's heartbeat quickens as she cries out, "Wait! Don't go! Help me, please."