Biana pines over Linh for almost 8K words

human AU in which my brain went "linh is very pretty, let me just self project onto biana once again" so--

oh and also: did I take this time to have linh using she/they pronouns? yes

tw: death mentions at parts (while joking), talking about ab/sive parents, flooding, food, caps, swearing (although I censored it completely), a brief mention of fire, toy guns (like the ones you see in carnival booths), hinted betrayal

...look it was supposed to be a 1k oneshot i did not expect more than 7.5k words in a little more than one day

oh and the ship is linhiana with some side sokeefitz and aroace dex

and also this is not edited very well, i did not have the time nor energy to look over it too hard so um--

The library held a special place in Biana's heart.

Every Friday, sometimes other days if she was free, Biana Vacker would walk to the library, pick up the book the librarian set out for her, and sit down on the blue seat. And she'd read aloud for the many kids in front of her, entertaining them with mysteries and fantasies, giving them an escape from mundane, everyday life.

She'd been volunteering to read at the city library since she was 12. In retrospect, she'd realized no normal 12 year old would be trusted to do so, but she supposed those were the perks that came with being practically royalty in a small town where everyone knew about her.

Over the years, regulars at the library had gotten used to her coming. The parents and little kids would be there, waiting for her to continue telling the tales of dragons conquering cities, or fairies saving the world. She'd talk to 6-year-old Eliza, or help pick out some books for Matt. The head librarian, Mrs. Smith, had warmed up to her, and they'd formed a mutual respect. Biana sometimes stayed late, to flip through some fashion magazines long after everyone else had left.

It was routine, and she loved it.

"Morning, Mrs. Smith," Biana said cheerfully as she walked by. The librarian looked up and smiled at her as a greeting, before returning to marking some papers.

Biana grabbed a book out of the shelf and walked towards the children's section of the library. Suddenly, stick fingers grabbed her arm and someone said, "Bianaaa."

Biana laughed, recognizing the voice, and turned to Emily, who was now looking up at her with big brown eyes. "Hi, Emmm," she said, mimicking the way Emily had said her name.

Emily paid no attention, her gaze already diverted to the book Biana was holding. "Oh, is it reading time?" she asked, bouncing with glee.

Biana had to laugh. "Yeah," she said, walking towards the children's section of the library, Emily on her heels. "Come on, take a seat, I'll start in a few minutes."

Emily nodded, her black pigtails bouncing up and down as she bounded off to her parent. Biana made herself comfortable and opened the book to the first page.

More people gathered on the colorful rug in front of her, and clearing her throat, she began to narrate the story.

They were about halfway through the tale when the door to the library swung open once again. Biana looked up for a moment, just to see who had entered, and her breath caught in her throat.

There was a girl at the doorway, with long, straight, raven black hair that reached to her hip. The tips of it were dyed a stunning silver, the type that caught the sunlight outside, shining bright. A smile curved up her lips as she looked around the small library. Her gaze traveled to where Biana sat and they made eye contact.