Before Sophie- Marella

Marella stormed out of her class, late to lunch.

She didn't care.

Her mentor had given her a 70 on the assignment, even though she'd done nothing wrong. But she'd made one off-hand comment on how irrelevant the assignment was and points were taken for out of turn speaking.

She was furious.

She passed by a kid with messy strawberry hair, who seemed annoyed about something. She was pretty sure his name was Dex, but she didn't know for sure.

She tried to know everyone, but there were hundreds of kids at Foxfire, and honestly, she'd barely seen that kid around. It was like he didn't want to be seen.

Weird.

Marella continued down the halls, to the lunchroom, where she sat alone, and had since the beginning of the school year. For the first week or two, she'd hoped someone would sit with her.

Maybe it would be like in the books. People who didn't fit in would find each other, form a group of friends who'd do anything for one another. She'd been so hopeful. So excited. So innocent.

She got over that quickly.

She'd realized she didn't particularly want to form a friendship with these people.

Most of the girls here were brats, like Miss Fancypants Vacker laughing with her group of friends, like rumpled clothes were the most hilarious things in the world. And the boys were either perfect like Wonderboy Vacker, just flat out weird, like the Drooly Boys, or flirty jokesters like Keefe Sencen, her obnoxious cousin.

It was a miracle really, how different and alike her cousin and she were at the same time. They both had snarky personalities and weren't afraid to say what they wanted, plus they looked eerily alike.

But Keefe somehow had dozens of girls who would faint at even the slightest look in their direction. Biana Vacker included. It was hilarious really, watching the brattiest girl in school blush and bat her eyes at Marella's cousin.

Keefe had ignored Marella the whole 7 months Marella had been at Foxfire. It was like she didn't exist. So much for blood is thicker than water.

As Marella passed by her excuse-for-a-cousin, Keefe's eyes found hers. He looked surprised at seeing her. Where did he think she was?

Keefe asked, "Why are you here?"

"Why do you think I'm here? I'm eating lunch. You know, like a normal Foxfire student."

"But wait, you go here?"

Marella wanted to smack Keefe so hard. "Where do you think I go? I've been here for months." Her voice was sharp and cold, and she could practically see them hurtling towards Keefe.

"Why didn't you ever tell me?" Keefe looked so confused. It was not lessening her desire to give him a piece of her mind.

"Well, I assumed you knew where your own cousin went to school." Seeing Keefe about to say something, she added, "And no, I'm not going to sit with you. I'd rather not watch you flirt with everything that moves." The bitterness in her voice surprised her. Apparently, the resentment she thought she'd gotten over was reappearing. And she was taking it out on her cousin.

Keefe looked a little hurt. "I'm sorry. It's just--"

"I get it. Your dad's being harsher than normal. Wonderful. I completely agree that means you can forget your own cousin for 7 months. You know, I'm pretty sure you haven't thought about me in years. You were probably too busy kissing random girls for a laugh. And styling your perfect hair." Hair that was apparently better than her.

Keefe looked wounded, and Marella felt a pang of guilt, but she didn't say anything. It was probably just an act. He was known for being able to do anything, just by running his hands through his perfect hair, and smirking. Honestly, the things he could do with his looks and acting talents...

A random person placed their hand on Keefe's shoulder, trying to comfort him. "Don't worry about her. Who cares what she thinks?" The person shot a nasty look at Marella but slipped into a sweet smile as she looked at Keefe.

Marella rolled her eyes and walked away. Once, she and her cousin had been close. They'd been pretty much best friends, despite him being a year older. But a few years ago, Marella's mother had fallen off the balcony. Lord Cassius withdrew from his sister, in Caprise's time of need.

It had taught Marella one thing: You can never trust anyone but yourself. Because if you trust another person, they will always let you down.

Keefe and Marella's bond had been broken too. Apparently to the point that he didn't even notice her, after 7 months of being in the same school.

Apparently to the point where his hair was more important than her.

Apparently to the point where she was nothing in his eyes, the eyes that were so startlingly similar to her's.

Well, it was fine.

She didn't need anyone anyway.