Ch. 50

The violence for this story is finished... back to the happy stuff 🥰
_____________________________

Ricky groaned in pain. The bastard actually shot him after yelling at him for ruining everything. The sheriff had returned fire, hitting Ej in the arm and leg. He wanted the bastard alive for trial. Despite Ej's' injuries, the sheriff took pleasure in handcuffing the kidnapper.

"Hang in there Ricky, the doc is on his way." Deputy Andy said, pressing his jacket against the wound in Ricky's shoulder.

Through his painful fog he heard his phone ring.

"Answer." he said.

The deputy reached into Ricky's pocket and retrieved his phone.

"This is Deputy Andy." the man answered, "Oh Brookelynn! Are-Yes, come on back."

"Brooke? The twins?" Ricky said.

"She's hiding with the twins in the forest." the deputy said, "Brookelynn, I'm sending Deputy Tom."

Ricky was being loaded on a stretcher when he saw Brookelynn and the twins come out of the forest. More police from around the area had joined in on the scene.

"Ricky!" they yelled running from the limping blonde and their handcuffed aunt.

"Hey guys." he said, so relieved to see them.

They didn't appear at first glance to be hurt but then he noticed Connor cradling his left arm in his right, and a bruise appearing on Charlotte's face. He fought the urge to get up and finish Ej off for good.

"You're hurt." Charlotte said, tearing up.

"I'm gonna be alright princess." he said, "Hang in there guys. The police called your mommy. She's coming. I have to go to the hospital."

"Can we come?" Connor asked.

"You are all going." Sheriff Ben said, helping Brookelynn into the ambulance, then the twins before Ricky was loaded up, "Sorry for the cramped quarters, but we only have one ambulance in this one-horse town."

Ricky wasn't going to complain. He was finally back with his kids.

"Your girlfriend will meet up with you at the hospital." Sheriff Ben said, "I'll be there too."

With that the sheriff got out and sent the ambulance on the way.

LINE BREAK

"Miss Salazar-Roberts!" an FBI agent ran into the room, "Your children have been found."

Nini felt the world being lifted off her shoulders.

"Are they hurt?" she asked.

"Connor may have a broken wrist, and Charlotte has a black eye, but otherwise they are fine."

Nini sagged against Kourtney in relief.

"Come with me. We're flying you to Montana." the agent said.

"Go." Kourt urged, "We'll be here when you get back."

Nini nodded and hugged her moms, her best friends.

Soon, Nini was in a helicopter, the darkness becoming lighter, indicating morning was on its way.

"Your boyfriend and Miss Heethuis found them in Blackfoot. Ricky was shot." Agent Lewis said.

"What!" Nini yelled, "Is he-"

"He's going to be just fine. He was hit in the shoulder. Ej was shot as well, he'll live too."

"How unfortunate." Nini said dryly.

Agent Lewis chuckled.

"Just think, now you can confront him in court."

"True." Nini conceded.

There was no better moment in her life than the moment she saw her children again, huddled together on a single hospital bed.

"Mommy!" they yelled.

"Charlotte! Connor!" she said, putting her arms around them.

She started crying again, never wanting to let go. She stroked her daughters face lightly, feeling extreme anger at the bruise and the cast on Connor's arm.

"Don't cry mommy." Connor said, patting her back comfortingly.

"I'm sorry Con, I just missed you." she said, pulling back, "I missed you so much."

"We missed you too." Charlotte said, "We tried to be brave."

"You were so very brave." she assured them. "I am so, so, so proud of you."

"Miss Salazar-Roberts?"

Nini turned to see a doctor standing there. She wiped her eyes.

"Yes." She replied.

The doctor smiled warmly.

"How are they?" she asked.

"Well, Connor has a broken wrist and Charlotte has a black eye." the doctor said, confirming what Agent Lewis had told her, "But they'll both be ready to go home tonight."

"Thank you." Nini said.

"You're welcome. There is a gentleman in a room down the hall who would like to see you when you have a chance."

"Ricky." she gasped, feeling slightly guilty for forgetting him.

"Go see him." Connor said.

"Go see daddy." Charlotte chimed up.

"You'll be ok?" she asked, smiling at how Charlotte addressed her beloved boyfriend.

"Go kiss him better." Charlotte added.

Nini laughed, kissed her babies and followed the doctor down to another room.

"Nini." Ricky breathed.

Nini ran into the one arm he held out for her, crying once again.

"Thank you. Thank you." she repeated over and over.

"I told you, I'd do anything for you and the kids. That includes taking a bullet." he said, kissing her gently.

"How bad is it?" she asked, gesturing to the heavy bandages covering his naked shoulder.

"A through and through. I just have to heal." he said. She still looked unsure. "I'm fine. I am. I'll be able to go home tonight."

"We can go home together." Nini said.

"I wouldn't have it any other way." Ricky said.

"Charlotte has instructed me to come and kiss her daddy better." Nini said with a smile.

"So do it." Ricky teased.

Nini kissed him generously.

"Wow." he said, raising an eyebrow, "I'm almost better. I think I need a little more."

Nini blushed and smacked his good shoulder. He laughed heartily.

"Nini?"

Nini turned to see an unsure Brookelynn standing in the doorway. Her beautiful porcelain face was bruised, and she looked to be in pain.

"I couldn't have done it without her." Ricky said with a smile, "She saved them."

With that, Nini enveloped Brookelynn in a huge, but gentle hug. The blonde hugged back tightly. They both were crying. Nini pulled back.

"Thank you." she said, holding Brookelynn's face in her hands, "Thank you."

"We're free." Brookelynn said.

"We are." Nini agreed, "We all are."
________________________________

Say it with me: Awwwwwweeeee 🥰