Ch. 11

Dinner was much better than last time. They found common ground. Music. Ricky was a lot more knowledgeable than she had thought.

"Well, I'll see you tomorrow," Ricky said, bringing the last of her bags to her door. She didn't want him to come inside because she knew he would be harassed by hurricane Kourtney.

"Tomorrow?" She asked. "What's tomorrow?"

He smiled.

"Pack up your kids, we're going to the beach." He waved. "I'll be here at 10."

"Bye." Nini said.

She was just about to open her door when a hand on her arm stopped her.

"You are beautiful." He said to her, his brown eyes full of sincerity. "You do know that, right?"

He was gone before she had enough of her senses back to answer.

After delivering the full play-by-play of today and a mini fashion show to Kourtney, Nini settled into her bed and opened her journal.

I hate to say it, but I had the most AMAZING day. Never in my life has shopping been so much fun. Granted, I didn't have to worry about the price tags, but still. Ricky wasn't so bad, either. Let's be honest, he can still work on his ego, though. He almost kissed me. I think. Maybe it was just wishful thinking. I haven't been on a date since EJ. God, I was so blinded by love. Captain of the water polo team AND a theater kid? I genuinely thought he was my dream come true. My soulmate, and when he asked me to marry him after a year of dating, it just seemed right. Even if we were only nineteen. I thought I was lucky to have found love so fast. I'll never regret having Charlotte and Connor, ever. But I'll always regret falling for his game. I've decided that I'm going to live in the moment. Even if this is all a sham. Ricky can't break my heart if he doesn't have it.

Nini closed her book with a smile and set her alarm for 8am. Getting two five-year-olds ready for the beach took some time. She was lulled to sleep by the sound of Ricky telling her she was beautiful.

Next morning:

"Is he here yet mommy?" Connor asked for the seventh time.

"No Con." Nini said tiredly. "If you ask again, you're going to stay here and help Aunt Ashlyn at the bakery instead of playing at the beach."

Connor quickly made the motion of zipping his lips. Charlotte giggled and Nini smiled. They were so excited. She had taken them to the beach before, it wasn't far. She didn't have a whole lot of time to take them often and it had been a while. The twins were practically vibrating with excitement. A couple of minutes later she was looking out the window and was shocked to see Ricky pull up in a red sports car, top down, two poster seats in the back. She was touched by his thoughtfulness. If she was honest, she wasn't looking forward to dragging hers out of her old Malibu.

"Alright, guys. He's here."

"Yay!" They both shouted, pushing past her when she opened the door.

"Stay!" She yelled as they bounded the stairs, not wanting them to run into the street.

"Mom!" Connor whined as she locked the door.

"Connor!" Nini mimicked. "Wait."

Connor and Charlotte waited impatiently at the bottom of the stairs. Ricky got out of the car, looking annoyingly incredible in his white muscle tee and blue swim trunks.

"You guys ready?" He asked, walking up to them.

"Yes!" Connor shouted.

"Alright man."