Ch. 34

Help I can't stop updating!
________________________________
"What!" Melissa and Allan exclaimed together.

Nini opened her mouth to respond, but her cell rang. She winced when she read the ID.

"It's Mr. Mazzara." she said, getting up to leave the room, "I gotta take this. Kourt?"

"I'll continue." Kourt said.

"Who's Mr. Mazzara?" Melissa asked.

"Nina's lawyer." Kourtney answered. "Brookelynn is married to her ex-husband."

"Married?" Melissa said in disbelief, "She's married?"

"Yes." Kourtney confirmed.

Nini came back into the room.

"What did he say?" Kourtney said.

"Well, he's not happy with me and he's coming here." Nini said, sitting back down.

"Why does your lawyer need to be here?" Allan asked.

"I didn't get very far." Kourtney said to Nini.

"Please start explaining!" Allan exclaimed angrily, "Why does your lawyer have to be here?"

"Allan, please." Melissa set a hand on her husband's arm, "I have a feeling there is a lot more involved."

Nini was glad for Melissa's understanding.

"Mr. Mazzara said it was important to wait until he got here." she said, "He'll be here shortly."

Nini and Kourtney sat with Brookelynn's parents uncomfortably. They both let out a relieved sigh when the doorbell rang. Allan got up to answer.

"Hello sir, I'm Benjamin Mazzara." Mr. Mazzara said, offering his hand.

Allan shook it.

"I'm Allan Heethuis. Now can we know what the hell is going on?" he said, ushering Mr. Mazzara into the living room.

"Allan." Melissa said.

"I apologize Mr. and Mrs. Heethuis; my client should not have come here so haphazardly."

Nini looked away from Mr. Mazzara's glare.

"Just explain." Allan sighed.

"I-" Nini began.

Mr. Mazzara put his hand up to stop her.

"Miss Salazar-Roberts, perhaps it's best if I do the speaking."

Nini nodded, feeling like a child getting scolded.

"Miss Salazar-Roberts was previously married to your daughter's husband, EJ Caswell. She is currently fighting him for the custody of their two children. Part of Salazar-Roberts case rests on proving that her husband was abusive towards her." Mr. Mazzara said in his professional manner, "We believe he is doing the same thing to Brookelynn."

Melissa let out a sob. Allan wrapped his arms around her.

"When was the last time you saw your daughter Mr. and Mrs. Heethuis?"

"A little over two years ago." Melissa said tearfully, "She left one morning for school and didn't come home."

"She lived here at home?" Kourtney asked.

"Yes." Melissa answered.

"How old was she two years ago?" Mr. Mazzara asked, sending Kourtney a 'shut up' look.

"18." Allan answered.

Nini did the calculations. Brookelynn was only 20 years old! She was beginning to feel really guilty for not thinking that EJ would do that shit all over again.

"Did you file a missing persons report?" Mr. Mazzara asked, jotting down notes on the pad he brought with him.

"Yes, but the police basically told us that Brookelynn's disappearance was just her spreading her wings of freedom." Allan said venomously.

"She was so excited about fashion school. Why would she up and leave it?" Melissa asked.

"I can answer that." Nini said, silently asking Mr. Mazzara to let her speak.

The stiff man gave her a curt nod.

"EJ Caswell is a very charming man." she began, "Very good at saying all the right things. I married him when I was 19 years old after only a year of dating. He promised me the world."

"You think he sweet-talked Brooke?" Allan asked.

"I know he did." she said.

"Let's go get her!" Melissa said.

"That's not a good idea Mrs. Heethuis." Mr. Mazzara said.

"Why? Because we could mess with your little custody case?" Allan spat.

Nini felt a spark of anger at that and had to remind herself that they were missing their daughter terribly.

"No Mr. Heethuis, it has been in my experience that abuse victims often pretend as though nothing is wrong. If we just rush Brookelynn, she will cover for EJ, and we may put her in more danger. I saw Brookelynn myself and I believe she is under his thumb." Mr. Mazzara said in a cool tone.

"So how do we do this?" Melissa asked.

"Gradually." was the lawyer's answer, "And we'll need to form a plan."

"Like what?" Allan asked.

"A chance meeting." Kourtney said.

"Like that." Mr. Mazzara said, eyes narrowed at the interruption.

"I can make that happen." Kourtney said, "Leave that to me."

"Kourt is the sneakiest person I know." Nini inputted.

"What if she is with EJ?" Melissa asked.

"I'll find out her schedule." Kourtney said, "We'll position you at a time when she is alone. He can't possibly be with her all the time."

"How will you do that?" Allan asked.

"I've got a friend." Kourt responded.

"I'm not hearing this." Mr. Mazzara said.

"We'll get your daughter back Mr. and Mrs. Heethuis." Nini vowed, "And prove EJ to be an unfit father in the process."

Melissa looked up at her husband. He nodded his consent.

"Let's get my daughter home safe." Allan said.

"Excellent." Mr. Mazzara said, shaking the Heethuis' hands, "Miss Greene will call me before she calls you to set up the meet."

"Thank you." Melissa whispered.

As soon as they exited the house Mr. Mazzara rounded on Kourtney and Nini.

"Never do anything like this again!" he said in a low voice, but he might as well have been yelling, "You both don't seem to realize how sensitive the court system is. Only certain things are admissible in cases. Miss Salazar-Roberts, you jeopardized your case just by coming here. You come to me if you think you have a grand idea!"

"I'm sorry Mr. Mazzara." Nini whispered.

"You are so lucky I went back to the office." Mr. Mazzara hissed, "You, Miss Greene, are to call me when you are ready to set up the meeting."

"Yes sir." Kourtney said, suppressing the urge to salute.

"Do you both understand me?"

The girls nodded.

"Good afternoon to you then." he put on his hat and went to his car and drove off.

"Well that felt like we were back in Mr. Wright's class." Kourt said.

Nini didn't respond. Kourtney seemed to understand and guided her friend to the car. They drove back into the city in silence.