Ch. 43

"She's waking up." a hushed voice said.

Nini cracked open one eye and groaned. The slightest movement hurt like a bitch.

"Nini?" this time she recognized the voice.

"R-Ricky?" she rasped, "Water."

She felt herself being raised up, which was enough for her to figure out she was in the hospital. A cup was being pressed to her lips and she drank greedily.

"EJ." she said when she was done.

"They're looking for him." Kourtney said, coming into view, "And don't worry about the kids, Gina has them."

Nini nodded silently.

"Your mom's are here, too. They just went to the cafeteria."

"What about Brookelynn?" Nini asked, coming back into the world.

"I called and told her to stay at the police department." Ricky said, "Just until we figure all this out."

Nini sighed with relief and then remembered something.

"What about my mail?" she asked.

"You have a concussion and you're asking for your mail." Ricky asked, amused.

"Please." Nini said, rolling her eyes, then regretted it when shooting pain about split her head open.

"I got it. Your neighbor handed it to the paramedics." Kourtney handed her the stack.

Nini painfully sifted through the envelopes until she found the note.

"Good, it's still here." she handed it to Ricky just as her moms burst into the room.

"Nini, thank god." Dana said, rushing to her daughter; Carol right behind her. They gently hugged their daughter.

"Hi moms." she said.

Ricky cursed loudly, holding the note.

"What's going on?" Carol asked.

"My stalker." Ricky said. "I can't believe she followed me here from Australia."

"Is our daughter in danger?" Dana asked, bitterly.

"Mom." Nini said, putting a hand on her arm.

"I don't think so. I'll give this to the police though." Ricky said, "I'd never put Nini in danger Mrs. Salazar-Roberts. I love her."

Nini smiled while Kourt 'awwed'. There was a knock at the door.

"Hello Miss Salazar-Roberts, I'm Dr. Lewis." the young doctor said.

"Hey." she said.

"How are you feeling?"

Nini just groaned in answer. The doctor laughed.

"Yeah, you're pretty banged up. But all your tests came back ok and you'll be out of here soon with some pain meds."

"Thanks." Nini said.

"There's a detective outside." the doctor gestured out the door, "He'd like to talk to you if that's ok. I think some lawyer guy is too."

Nini nodded. A detective and Mr. Mazzara entered the room.

"Hello Miss Salazar-Roberts." the stuffy lawyer said, "I'm glad you are alright. This is Detective Kent, he's been talking to Brookelynn, so he knows the situation."

"Miss Salazar-Roberts." Detective Kent greeted.

"Have you found EJ yet?" she asked.

"I'm afraid not." Detective Kent said, "But it would be a great help if you told me what happened."

Disappointed, Nini told the detective everything that had happened before she blacked out.

"Ok, Miss Salazar-Roberts, I'm going to have one of my CSI's come and photograph your injuries before you go home. I'll be in touch." Detective Kent said, capping his pen, "Good afternoon."

"Your custody case has been thrown out pending EJ's arrest. You're keeping the kids." Mr. Mazzara said, "I believe we have enough to charge EJ with enough to put him in jail."

Nini let out a sigh she had been holding for two months. Charlotte and Connor were hers to keep. She felt tears rolling down her cheeks. Ricky gently put his arms round her. Mr. Mazzara gave her one of his rare smiles.

"May I represent you Miss Salazar-Roberts at EJ's trial? Once he has been found of course."

"I would really like that Mr. Mazzara." Nini said with a smile.

"I have employed a security service until we capture EJ." the lawyer said, "They will watch the apartment and go wherever you and the kids do. Brookelynn has been provided the same."

"Thank you." Nini said, squeezing the lawyers' hand.

Mr. Mazzara nodded and left. Kourt's phone dinged, alerting her to a text.

"Gina is here with the kids, they want to see you."

"How do I explain this?" Nini gestured to herself.

"Mommy got an owie?" Kourt suggested.

"I don't think that works on them anymore." Nini said.

"They're gonna see you eventually." Kourt said.

Nini sighed, knowing Kourtney was right. Ricky kissed her temple comfortingly.

"Send 'em up." she said and watched Kourt text a response.

Nini ended up telling her kids that a bad man hurt her, but that she was just fine. Connor seemed to believe her, but Nini could tell her daughter wasn't quite satisfied with her mother's explanation. How was Nini supposed to explain to Charlotte that her father hurt her mother? Nini wasn't going to try.
________________________________
It's gonna get INTENSE!