Ch. 6

Nini stared at herself in the mirror later that night.

"You look great, Nins." Kourtney said while flipping through a magazine on Nini's bed.

"You really think so?" Nini turned around slowly, watching the swirl of her black dress. "You think it's enough for a fake date with someone who's famous?"

"Girlie, you look stunning." Gina said, walking into her room. Gina volunteered to help Kourtney watch the kids while Nini went out with Ricky. Gina had been traveling for her job and it had been a couple weeks since she's seen the twins. She was missing them like crazy.

Nini went back to examining her reflection in the mirror. Black dress, hair up, teardrop faux crystal earrings, silver chain necklace, and black heels.

"Well, it's all I have so it'll have to do." She said, making a face as a strand of hair fell out of its clip. "Thanks again for watching them, you guys." She said. "I hate springing this all on you."

"It's not a problem," Gina said. "Besides, we want to be the first one you give the dirty details to." Kourt chimed in.

Nini rolled her eyes and glared at her friends.

"There will be no dirty details." She said firmly.

Gina and Kourtney just giggled.

"I'm serious. I-" Nini began but was interrupted by the doorbell.

"No sugar. Bedtime is in a half hour." Nini listed as she made her way to the front door. "And do NOT let them rope you into 'five more minutes.'"

"We know, Nins." Gina said, handing Nini her bag. "Good luck!" They exclaimed as she double check she had everything she needed.

Nini took a deep breath, realizing that she couldn't stall any longer, and threw her arms around her best friends.

"Oh my god, I'm going to dinner with Ricky freaking Bowen."

Kourtney and Gina laughed. "You can do it!" Kourt said, pushing Nini out the door.

"Miss Salazar-Roberts." A driver bowed slightly. "Mr. Bowen awaits you in the limo."

"Thank you" Nini said with a slight nod.

Her best friends waved to her as she followed the driver to the same limo she had ridden in before. It was getting dark, but she could still see all the neighbors with their noses pressed against their windows. The driver helped her into the limo. When she got settled in she saw Ricky sitting there, relaxed, sipping wine. Regrettably, Nini had to admit he looked incredible. He was wearing a royal blue suit with a baby pink button up and white high tops. Should she say something?

"We need to take you shopping" was how he greeted her.

Never mind.

"You are making it extremely hard to keep my promise." She growled.

He smiled at her, making her hand twitch.

"This is all I have. I can't afford anything else." She informed him.

"We'll go shopping this weekend." He said, basically ignoring her.

"What part of 'I can't afford anything else' don't you understand?" She snapped, her face heating red with embarrassment.

"I'll buy. Chill, darling." The term of endearment starting to roll off his tongue easily.

Nini clenched her fists. She hated feeling like a charity case, but she really couldn't afford any more clothes.