Ch. 48

Nini stared up at the ceiling, lying back on an old bean-bag chair in the practice room. It had been about an hour since Ricky had called to say that he was flying to Blackfoot with Brookelynn. She figured he should be landing within the next half-hour. She, her moms, and friends had kept silent about her boyfriend's whereabouts to the police and FBI. She gasped slightly when her cell rang. The police had given it back to her with strict instructions to tell the officers standing guard downstairs if it was Ej. But it was Ricky.

"Hello?" she asked.

"Hey baby." he greeted her quietly, "How are you holding up?"

She just sighed.

"I know Nini." he said, "We are almost to Blackfoot. Some farmer has allowed us to use one of his empty fields as a landing strip."

"How'd you swing that?" she asked.

"I called the sheriff. He thinks he knows the house and is willing to help us. He heard about the kidnapping, and decided to trust us." Ricky explained, "We'll be there waiting for Ej. Any news from your end?"

"The FBI has cleared about half of the vacation houses. Big surprise, no Ej." Nini said sarcastically, "I think he's headed your way."

"So do I." Ricky said, "Listen, I think we're landing, I'll call you back."

"Be safe." Nini whispered, "I wish I'd gone with you."

"I wish you could have too, but the police would have noticed. I'll try to be safe, I promise. I love you." he said quickly.

"I love you too." she said and then ended the call.

She leaned back and closed her eyes, shutting out the light, only slightly easing the migraine that had taken over her head.

"Please find them." she whispered into the empty room.

LINE BREAK

"How is she?" Brookelynn asked Ricky, buckling her seatbelt per the pilot's instructions.

"Heartbroken." Ricky responded, doing the same.

"I can't even imagine." Brookelynn said sympathetically.

Ricky just sighed heavily.

It was a bumpy landing, but they survived. The farmer lent them his truck and they sped down the dirt road until they reached the main street. The sun was almost gone from the horizon.

"Sheriff's office." Brookelynn pointed to an old saloon-type building.

Ricky swung into an empty parking slot and they both hurried out of the truck, slamming the doors. The sheriff, who had been napping in a rocking chair out front, startled awake at the noise.

"You must be Ricky and Brookelynn. I'm Sheriff Ben." the balding man said with a nice southern drawl.

"Yes sir." Ricky said, holding out his hand, "Thanks for helping us out."

"No problem." Sheriff Ben said, taking the offered hand, "I'm a big believer in not needing those big ol' government agencies. Me and my deputies are as good as any FBI agents."

Ricky smiled a true smile. He liked this man.

"You said you may know what house?" Brookelynn asked.

"Yes ma'am." Sheriff Ben tipped his hat politely, "This town is tiny, one notices when a fancy ranch is put in."

"God he's stupid." Brookelynn scoffed, referring to her soon-to-be ex-father-in-law.

"Will you take us there Sheriff?" Ricky asked.

"You bet. Just let me call up my deputies." Sheriff Ben said, heading into the building, "Ma'am, You probably best stay here for your safety."

Brookelynn crossed her arms over her chest and glared at the sheriff.

"I think not Sheriff. I'm coming. I didn't leave one man for telling me what to do just to be told what to do by another."

Ricky snickered at the gob smacked look that appeared on the weathered sheriff's face.

"I'm sorry; I didn't mean to offend Ma'am."

Brookelynn just nodded. The sheriff cleared his throat uncomfortably.

"I'll just call my deputies then." he said, going into an office.

"You are frightening when you want to be." Ricky said, amused.

Brookelynn grinned, her face lighting up in a way he hadn't seen on her.

"I didn't know I could do that." she said, her voice in slight awe, "That was fun."

Ricky gave her a side hug with a laugh.

"Alright," Sheriff Ben said, exiting the office, "my deputies Andy and Tom will meet us there. Ready to go?"

Ricky and Brookelynn nodded.

"Alright, you wanna ride with me or take your truck?"

"We'll ride with you." Ricky answered after silently conferring with Brookelynn.

"I'm gonna call Nini on the way." he continued, "Let's go."