Ch. 20

Charlotte and Connor wouldn't let just Nini tuck them in that night, Ricky had to as well.

"Sing us a song Ricky." Connor said from under his Thomas the Train blanket.

"Yeah." Charlotte agreed, hugging her Dora doll.

"Guys..." Nini said.

"No problem. I've got the perfect song. Close your eyes Princess." he kissed the little girls fore head before doing the same to Connor, "You too Little Man."

The twins were quick to obey. Ricky flashed Nini a smile and began to sing.

Ooh
Ooh

Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high
There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby
Oh, somewhere over the rainbow skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true

Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me

Somewhere over the rainbow
Bluebirds fly
Birds fly over the rainbow
Why then, oh why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly
Beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?

"Goodnight little ones." Ricky whispered.

Nini took his hand and pulled him out of the room, leaving the door open a crack. When they ended up in the living room, he pulled her into his arms. She wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Thank you." she whispered, "For everything."

He nodded.

"You are so beautiful." he said.

She tried to look away, but he wouldn't let her.

"And you are so worth it." he whispered back before capturing her lips in another searing kiss.

They stayed that way for a few moments. They reluctantly made their way to her door.

"Good night beautiful."

"Good night Ricky."

Once Ricky left, Nini poured herself a glass of wine and settled into bed, pulling out her book.

Well, I kissed Ricky Bowen. And I told him about Ej. I have only ever told Kourtney and my moms, and a little to David. But something about this man, I could spill my guts to him. He was so wonderful with Charlotte and Connor. They love him. I don't know if we're together for real or not. I'm not sure how this goes. Ricky has to go out of town to his cousins wedding tomorrow. I can't believe it, but I'll miss him. But he'll be there Sunday for the award show. God, I feel like squealing like a teenager.

The mediation is in three days. I am scared to death. I know I'm a good mom and I love my children to pieces, but EJ is the son of a lawyer, manipulative and sneaky. I repeat, I am scared.

LINE BREAK

Nini held the phone away from her ear as Kourt squealed loudly. She had just told Kourt about the kisses and Ricky helping with the twins.

"My best friend has a boyfriend; my best friend has a boyfriend." Kourtney chanted, "Eep!"

"Slow your roll there, Kourt. I'm not sure that's what it is." Nini said.

"How can you not be sure?" Kourt demanded, "Those kisses were definitly not pretend."

"No, they weren't." Nini agreed, "I-I told him what happened with EJ."

"You did?" She asked, suddenly serious, "What did he say?"

"That he wanted to kill EJ."

"That makes two of us." Kourt sighed.

"Kourt!" Nini scolded, but a smile was on her face.

"What? It's true." Kourt said, shrugging her shoulders, even though Nini couldn't see. "I have since you showed up on my door step with a black eye."

"Oh Kourt." Nini said, "You know I love you, right?"

"Well of course you do, I'm awesome."

"There's more." Nini said.

"Did you sleep with him?" Kourtney asked in a hopeful tone.

"Of course not!" Nini yelped, appalled.

Kourt just laughed.

"I know, I just thought it'd be funny to ask. Now what else?"

Nini rolled her eyes.

"Ricky's taking me to the Billboard Music Awards tomorrow night."

"Really?" Kourt shouted. "Nins, that's amazing! You deserve to go!"

"I guess." Nini said. "I don't even know if he's nominated for anything. I was gonna ask, but we got a little... sidetracked."

"God, I'm so jealous." Kourt gushed, "What on earth are you going to wear?"

Nini hadn't thought about it, but suddenly she knew.

"The blue one. The one I had before I went shopping with Ricky. The one he said I looked terrible in."

"You go girl." Kourtney said, "Listen Nins, my break is over so, I gotta go. I'll talk to you later."

"Bye Kourt."

Nini hung up with a shake of her head. Her best friend was nuts. She lounged on her bed a few more minutes before deciding to get up. She wasn't going to waste this Saturday. She had to get ready for an award show. She found her children sitting quietly in front of the TV.

"Morning Con, morning Char." she greeted.

"Mommy, where is Ricky?" Connor asked.

"He went home last night sweetie." Nini answered on her way to the kitchen.

"Aw man." Connor pouted, "Ricky should live with us."

Nini coughed in surprise

"It doesn't quite work that way." she said.

"Why not?" Charlotte asked seriously.

"That's a little too complicated for you to understand, honey. Now, who wants waffles?" She asked. The twins squealed and sprinted to the kitchen.

Nini laughed. Tomorrow night would be interesting. She made them their breakfast and then headed to her closet while the kids got dressed. She moved her clothes to the side to see her blue dress wrapped in plastic, hanging on a hook. She had kept the dress. She had fallen in love with it more than any other article of clothing. She took it and held it in front of her, looking in her mirror.

"I look great in blue." she whispered, feeling a sort of freedom in saying so.
________________________________
This wasn't a great chapter, so... sorry 😬