Ch. 12

**This has mentions of abuse! (Not too bad, but still)
________________________________
"Oh, hey Nini." he said from the piano bench.

Nimi shut the door behind her.

"Does David-"

"Know I'm here? Yeah. I don't think he likes me." the musician said.

"Well, no." Nini said sharply, "I'll ask again. What are you doing here Ricky?"

She had no real reason to be so irritated with him. He hadn't done anything. But he was a part of this whole situation, so tough for him.

"I need your help." he said, oblivious to her frustration.

"I am already helping you!" she snapped, stomping over to where she kept the sheet music, "And it's costing me you know."

Ricky blinked.

"What do you mean? You're dating Ricky Bowen." he said as if that fact coincided with happiness.

Nini charged at him angrily, backing him against the fridge. He looked surprised.

"No slapping." he reminded her quickly.

"You think dating you is all rainbows and kittens?" she asked him, poking him in the chest.

"Uh, yeah."

"Wrong answer." she jabbed his chest and ranted, "Dating you means being pegged as a whore or a gold digger. Dating you ruins my relationships. Dating you-"

"Nini! Nini!" he pushed her away, "I'm sorry, ok, calm down."

"Calm down? David won't speak to me, I have to tell Mr. Mazzara about EJ hitting me, Kourtney won't stop calling-"

"Whoa!" Ricky shouted, "He hit you?"

Nini froze and felt the blood drain from her face. She hadn't meant to say that. It had slipped out. One of the secrets.

"N-no." she stammered, suddenly tired.

She went to move away from him, but he grabbed her, but let go quickly when she winced.

"He hit you?" Ricky repeated.

"It's none of your business. What did you want help with?" she said, ignoring his question.

He stared at her. She wouldn't budge.

"Fine. I'll drop it." he said, "For now."

"What do you want!" she said, exasperated, still avoiding looking at him directly.

"A song."

Nini turned to look at him.

"Excuse me?"

"You said you write songs. I need one, a good one." Ricky said.

"My songs are private. I don't even know if they are any good." she responded.

"Play me one." he said, motioning to the piano.

Nini shook her head.

"Don't you write your own?" she asked.

Ricky scoffed and helped himself to the fridge.

"I used to. But I haven't been inspired. My label wants me to put out new music and I've tried writing songs. I keep coming up blank."

"No." she said firmly, "I've already given up so much privacy. I'm not going to give you anymore."

"We can end this Nini." Ricky said, now frustrated.

"And what, lose my only chance of keeping my kids?" Nini bit back.

I wouldn't do that." he said, "You can still have Mr. Mazzara."

Nini looked at Ricky. He seemed sincere. She gave a suffered sigh.

"No. I gave my word to help you." she said.

"Thank you." Ricky said after an awkward moment of silence, "Listen, I got to run. Will you at least think about writing a song for me?"

"No." Nini said, pushing him out the door.

"Well, well."

Nini gasped when she saw EJ on the stairs, his arms crossed, a mean smirk on his face.

"E-EJ." she said, eyes wide.

Ricky suddenly pushed her behind him.

"So you're EJ." Ricky said, his voice hard.

"And everyone knows who you are." EJ returned, "At work Nini, really?"

"Shut up EJ." she spat, coming out from behind Ricky, "What are you doing here?"

EJ pulled a folded up paper out of his back pocket.

"Is it true?" he asked, waving it around, "You have Benjamin Mazzara as your lawyer?"

"Yes." she answered, stepping forward, "So what?"

She was surprised when Ricky put a hand on her arm.

"Do you have some secret fortune I don't know about? There is no way you can afford Mazzara." he grinned sickly, "Unless you are doing some side work. I have some friends-"

He didn't get to finish because Ricky slammed him against the bannister.

"Ricky!" she cried in surprise.

"You have twenty seconds to leave this store." Ricky hissed.

She could tell EJ was trying not to look scared.

"This isn't over Nini." EJ said, escaping Ricky's grip and heading down the stairs, "Maybe next time we can chat without your guard dog."

"You come near her without me there; you'll wish you'd never been born." Ricky threatened.

Nini didn't know why Ricky was doing this, but she did feel safer with him there.

"Is that a threat?" EJ asked.

"No. I don't threat." Ricky said coolly, "It's a promise. Get lost."

They watched silently as her ex-husband left the store after pausing and exchanging words with Taylor, sending back one last nasty look.

"You didn't need to do that." she said.

"You tell me if he comes back." Ricky said before heading down the stairs.

"It's fine, I-" Nini tried to object.

"Tell me." Ricky said firmly, looking her in the eyes.

She just nodded. It felt nice to be protected, though she felt as though she really didn't need it.

"I'll call you." she called out.

He waved.

Taylor sneered at her, but Nini ignored her. It wasn't for show. She really might call him.