Ch. 27

Nini jumped about a mile when Kourtney stormed into her apartment later that evening.

"Nina Isobel Salazar-Roberts!" she shouted.

"Uh- kids, go to your room." Nini said.

"But mom-"

"Go, both of you." she said sternly.

She waited until their door had closed before turning back to her friend.

"Kourt-what is the meaning-"

"You have never ever been a coward Nini Salazar-Roberts." Trish hissed, putting a finger in Nini's face, "Until today."

"What are you talking about Kourt?" Nini said, feeling anger at her words.

"You won't be with a guy who adores you because you are afraid of getting hurt? News flash honey, people get hurt. But they always move past it." Kourt said.

"This is none of your business Kourtney." Nini snapped.

"Oh yes it is. See, part of being your best friend is making you see reason."

"Oh really?" Nini snapped.

"Yes, really. So here it is. No matter who you date Nini, there's a chance you could get hurt. And even if you decide not to date, someone else could hurt you. Remember Dave?"

"That was different!" Nini yelled.

"How?" Kourt shouted back.

Nini opened her mouth, but had to close it. She had no answer.

"Exactly." Kourt said at a lower tone, "Don't throw away something great. You are, or were, the happiest I have ever seen you with Ricky."

Kourt came up and hugged Nini.

"Ricky is not EJ."

"I know that." Nini said quickly, "But this girl-"

"Means absolutely nothing to Ricky. He is a musician, Nins. He's gonna have girls drooling after him." Kourt interrupted, "But he chose you."

Nini knew her friend was right. And she really hated that.

"Don't be a coward Nini." Kourt said gently, "Don't let the fear of striking out stop you from playing the game."

Nini laughed. Kourt was quoting one of her favorite movies from when she was a teenager, A Cinderella Story.

"Can you-watch the twins?" she asked, picking up her purse, "I need to go talk to someone."

Kourt smiled happily.

"You got it."

LINE BREAK

With the feeling of de ja vu, Nini rang the doorbell once again. She gasped when Ricky opened the door. He looked awful. His eyes were red and puffy and his over-all expression was bad. His messy curls were messier than usual.

"Nini?" he asked, like he wasn't sure she was really there.

"Can we talk?" Nini asked.

Ricky opened the door wider and let her in. The second he closed the door, she threw her arms around him.

"I am so sorry Ricky." she said, her voice muffled by his shirt.

He wrapped his arms around her and closed his eyes, holding tight. He pulled away and wiped the tears that appeared on Nini's face away.

"I'm sorry too. I know I don't have the best reputation Nini, but you are so different. A beautiful kind of different. You mean so much to me. You have to believe me." he pleaded.

"I do." she said softly.

He took her face in his hands and kissed her. It was soft, sweet, better than all their kisses combined.

"God, I missed you." he said as they separated, "And the twins. Are they ok?"

"I've missed you too." she said, "No matter how many times I tried not to. And the twins are fine, just confused."

He drew her into his arms again. He didn't want to let go and she knew the feeling. She stood on her tip-toes to kiss him again.

"I have to get back home." Nini said reluctantly.

"How about dinner tomorrow?" he asked.

"Yes." she said, "Yes."

"Perfect." he whispered, pecking her on the lips, "Good night darling."

Nini sighed. She never thought she'd hear that endearment again.

"Good night Ricky."

LINE BREAK

Nini thanked Kourtney for everything when she got home. Afterwards she picked up her book again.

I hadn't realized how much EJ had taken from me until today. He took away my ability to trust and have faith. But I think I have them back. I'm going to trust Ricky and have faith that things will work out alright. I really like him. It is too soon to say love, but we're getting there. I think.
________________________________
All is right in the world!