Ch. 45

THIS IS AN EMOTIONAL AND SOMEWHAT VIOLENT CHAPTER!
_____________________________

Despite Nini's instructions, Ricky had only moved out to a bench just outside the store. His heart stopped when he heard a scream. He ran into the store and saw Nini crumpled up on the landing. He took the stairs two at a time.

"Nini! Nini! What is it?" he asked.

"Chalotte, C-Connor. He has them." she let out between sobs.

Ricky's blood ran ice cold. He wanted to throw things. Instead he hugged her tightly.

"Have you called the police?" he asked.

"I did." David said.

Ricky stood.

"Where the hell was Charlotte and Connor's security?" he snapped.

David shrugged and shook his head.

"You stay with Nini and talk to the police." Ricky instructed. "I'm going to talk to the security people."

Ricky sped to the kindergarten. Two security guards were standing out in front talking to police officers. One was talking animatedly to the officers, the other one just stood there with a bored look on his face. Ricky saw red at the guard's nonchalance. He jumped out of his car and in moments had the bored guard up against a wall, hand around his throat.

"What the-" the guard rasped.

"How do you let two kids get kidnapped right under your nose?" Ricky hissed, "You call yourself a security guard?"

"Get off me!" the man struggled, but Ricky was taller and had quite a bit more muscle, so he could not escape.

"You lost my kids you idiot!" Ricky shouted before punching the guard in the stomach.

Ricky was suddenly yanked off the man, and the guard crumpled to the ground with a groan. Ricky jerked away from the hands that had grasped him. He turned to face two officers.

"Sir, you have 60 seconds to explain who you are and what you have to do with all of this."

"I'm Ricky Bowen. These so-called security guards were supposed to protect my kids. Now they're gone!" Ricky shouted, his voice going hoarse with emotion.

One of the officers went back to the security guards; the other stayed with Ricky and flipped through a notepad.

"Your kids, sir?" the officer said, "It was reported that the children in question were taken by their father, an EJ Caswell."

"He's not their father!" Ricky snapped.

"That's what was reported."

Ricky's words caught up with him.

"I-uh-I'm their mother's boyfriend. But Charlotte and Connor are like my own. EJ Caswell is nothing but a sperm donor." he said bitterly, then glanced at the officer's badge, "What the hell happened here Officer Armstrong?"

Officer Armstrong eyed Ricky wearily, and then sighed.

"It seems Mr. Bowen; the guards were distracted by a woman who needed help starting her car. They were all set to help the woman, but she got a text and nearly ran over them with the car she said had broken down."

"An accomplice." Ricky said.

"Yes, we believe so." Officer Armstrong said, "We don't know who though."

"I have an idea." Ricky spat.

"You do?" Officer Armstrong said in surprise.

"Ellie Caswell." Ricky said, "Look into her. She has a weird relationship with her brother."

Officer Armstrong wrote that down and then put a hand on Ricky's shoulder.

"Look Mr. Bowen, I know you're worried, but please let us do our job. Your girlfriend probably needs you right now. We are doing everything we can."

"Please find my kids." Ricky said quietly before turning away quickly as tears escaped his eyes.

He got in his car and slammed his fists on the steering wheel and let out an agonized shout. This could not be happening. He was finally happy, a true and fulfilling happiness. This wasn't right. He waited until he could see through the tears before he drove off.