Ch. 16

"I spent the night with Ricky Bowen." Nini told Kourt when she invited her over the next morning. They were standing in her kitchen and the kids were getting ready for school.

What ever Kourt was drinking went down the wrong pipe and she started coughing and sputtering, staring wide-eyed at her friend. Nini laughed. Just the reaction she wanted.

"Not like that Kourt." she said.

"Hi mommy!" Connor greeted, running into the kitchen and falling flat on his face.

"Owie." his lip trembled.

"Oh Con."

She helped her son up, kissed him better and gave him breakfast. Kourt was waiting not-so patiently for more of an explanation. When Charlotte didn't come for breakfast when she called, Nini went to the twins room and found her daughter curled up on her bed, crying.

"Char, what's wrong?" she asked, sitting on the bed, "Are you sick? Are you hurt?"

Nini was surprised when Charlotte handed her the house phone.

"Daddy said you didn't love me." Charlotte whispered.

Her blood ran cold. The bastard had called here?

"I love you very, very much Charlotte, don't let anyone tell you different. Do you understand?" Nini pleaded.

Charlotte sat up and sniffled.

"Promise mommy?"

"I promise." Nini pulled her shaking daughter into her arms, "And I need you to promise me something."

"What?"

"Don't answer the phone. Ok? Let me and Auntie Kourt handle the phone if it rings." she said, anger coursing through her body.

"Ok mommy."

She repeated the instructions to Connor once they entered the kitchen. She sent Kourt an I'll-tell-you-later look and took the kids to school. In a fury she drove to Benjamin Mazzara's office. She didn't have an appointment and he was probably busy, but she didn't care.

When she got there, she stormed past the protesting secretary to Mr. Mazzara's office. She open the door harshly and found Mr. Mazzara with an older couple.

"I-I'm sorry, but we need to talk. Now." Nini said forcefully.

Mr. Mazzara examined her, his mouth in a firm line. He turned to the couple.

"Would it be alright if we finished this tomorrow Mr. and Mrs. Kent?" he asked.

The two white haired people nodded and left, sending Nini disgusted looks. Nini Salazar-Roberts could care less. She sat in the chair before Mr. Mazzara.

"I know," Mr. Mazzara began slowly, "that things are rough for you right now Miss Salazar-Roberts, but you are not my only client. I will not tolerate this sort of behavior, Ricky Bowen's girlfriend or not."

"He called my daughter and told her that I didn't love her!" she shouted, "I want some sort of restraining order."

Mr. Mazzara sighed and sat down, donning a pair of glasses.

"Slow down and begin again Miss Salazar-Roberts. Who called your daughter?"

"EJ! My ex-husband!" she cried, "He came to see me yesterday-"

"Did he threaten you?"

Nini slumped into the chair.

"Well, no."

"Then I am afraid that I do not have grounds to ask a judge for a restraining order, Nini, I'm sorry."

"What am I supposed to do?" she whimpered.