Ch. 49

STRONG VIOLENCE (child abuse)! Please don't read if it triggers you!!!!
____________________________

Nini lazily tinkered around on the piano. Kourtney and Red had joined her in her silent vigil, lounging on the beanbag chairs. They all jumped when Nini's cell rang.

"It's Ricky." she said, putting the phone on speaker, "Hello?"

"Hey baby, we're on our way to the house."

"You found it?" she asked, her voice full of newfound hope.

"Yeah. EJ's' father apparently built a totally huge ranch." Ricky scoffed, "So much for hiding out."

"So you'll be there waiting for them?" Kourt asked.

"Yes. Me, Brookelynn, the Sheriff and two deputies." Ricky responded, "How are things on your end?"

"Police have worked through more vacation houses." Nini said, "No sign of Ej. They've arrested Mr. and Mrs. Caswell for obstruction of justice. They're still not talking. The police have been wondering where you are."

"Bastards." Ricky spat, "Well, Sheriff says we're coming up to the house. I'll call you."

"Alright." Nini said reluctantly.

"I'm bringing our kids home, Nini." Ricky said, his voice set in hard determination, "I promise you."

"I know you will." she said.

"Keep the police off our trail for just a little longer." he said, "I love you."

"I love you too."

LINE BREAK

"Whew." Ej breathed as they drove across the Montana border, "Almost there."

"Good. I am sooo tired of riding." Ellie said.

"Do you ever stop whining?" Ej sneered.

"Shut up you-"

Charlotte covered her ears. Mr. Ej and Auntie Ellie were fighting again. They had been doing that a lot since they stopped to go to the bathroom. Connor tugged on Charlotte's arm.

"What?" she whispered.

"Where are we going?" he whispered.

Charlotte shrugged. She had already asked several times and got yelled at. She wasn't going to ask again.

"It doesn't matter where we're going Colin-"

"Connor." Ellie interjected.

"Connor." Mr. Ej corrected himself, "Wherever we're going you're going to be happy and listen to me. Understood?"

Connor looked at his sister.

"Understood!" Mr. Ej yelled.

The twins jumped and hugged each other.

"Yes." they both stammered.

"God, your mother didn't teach you two any respect." he said bitingly, "What a horrible woman."

"You're a liar!" Charlotte found herself yelling angrily, "My mommy is the best!"

Faster than lighting, Auntie Ellie turned in her seat and slapped her across the face.

"Don't ever talk to your father that way!" she shouted as tears ran down her niece's face.

"Hey!" Connor yelled, "Don't hit! Hitting is bad!"

"Shut up or you're next." Mr. Ej snapped.

Connor bit his lip and held onto his crying sister.

"He's not my daddy." Charlotte said so only Connor could here.

Connor nodded.

They wanted to go home.

LINE BREAK

Ricky and the others didn't have to wait long in the cool darkness. Soon the bright headlights of an SUV lit up the drive way.

"Hold on." the sheriff whispered.

Ricky let out the breath he was holding when he saw Ej get out of the SUV.

"That's him." Ricky whispered in disgust.

The sheriff held him back when he tried to get up.

"Let me and the boys at 'em." he said, before un-holstering his weapon, "Edward James Caswell. Freeze!"

"Shit." Ej cursed when he saw the three men heading his way, "Ellie, get them out of here."

Ricky's heart stopped when Ej reached in the car and pulled out his own gun.

"Get out of here officers."

Brookelynn spotted her sister-in-law dragging the twins into a nearby wooded area.

"Oh no you don't." she said, running after them.

"Brooke!" Ricky yelled, but Brookelynn didn't stop.

She quickly caught up to Ellie, who couldn't get very far with two struggling five-year-olds in the dark. Brookelynn didn't have a plan, only a flashlight, but she sure as hell was gonna try.

"Let them go Ellie!" she shouted.

"Or what?" She retorted.

"Brooke!" Charlotte cried out, "Help!"

Brookelynn, with an action that felt completely out of her control, threw herself at Ellie, knocking the woman down and freeing Charlotte and Connor.

"Go hide." she yelled, "Don't go back."

She yelped when Ellie turned them over.

"You are more trouble than you're worth." the brunette seethed.

"I am worth more than you'll ever know." Brookelynn said through gritted teeth.

She grunted as Ellie began to hit her. She struggled against the woman, but her sister-in-law was strong. Brookelynn head-butted Ellie and with the remaining strength she had, flipped them over. She spotted a hefty boulder out of the corner of her eye and slyly picked it up. Ellie made a move to hit her again but Brookelynn quickly hit her in the head, knocking Eleanor Caswell out cold. She pushed Ellie off of her with a grunt and stood up painfully.

She had seen the twins run behind a group of large trees, and she slowly walked over to them. "It's okay to come out now, kids." Brookelynn said, painfully opening her arms as the two brave five year olds ran into them, sobbing.

"It's okay. I've got you. You're safe." she whispered.

Shots rang in the distance. Maybe she spoke too soon.

"W-what was th-that?" Connor said.

"Come with me." she said.

She limped through the forest, holding Charlotte's hand, flashlight in the other, with Connor beside her.

"Can you hold the flashlight Connor?" she asked.

The little boy tearfully nodded and took it from her. She fished in her pocket for her cell phone. It was cracked, but worked. She dialed Ricky, but there was no answer.

"Let's take a rest." she said.

She wasn't going to go back until she knew it was safe.

"I'm scared Brookelynn." Charlotte whimpered.

"I know, honey." Brookelynn said, sitting on a rock and pulling them into her arms, "I am too."

"I want to go home." Connor said.

"Soon." she promised, dialing again. "Soon."