Ch. 32

A little girl with adorable, wide brown eyes was looking up at him expectantly.

And he had no idea what to do.

He chuckled nervously, the air thick in the little classroom. Charlotte suddenly let go of his hand and ran out of the room. Everyone stared at him.

"Um, if you'll just, um you know, excuse me." he babbled, hurrying after Charlotte.

He entered the hall and didn't see her.

"Damn she's fast." he muttered, "Charlotte! Charlotte! Where are you, Char?"

He followed the crying noises and found her crouched under a water fountain. She had pulled her knees up to her chest and she had her face buried in her crossed arms. He didn't try to coax her out; he just sat down beside her, suppressing a curse as he struck his head on the metal fountain.

"Talk to me Princess." he said quietly.

"Don't call me that!" Charlotte snapped.

Ricky was a little hurt, but decided to go with it. He was determined to figure this out, fighting the urge to call Nini and cry.

"Okay. I'm sorry Charlotte." he said, "But can you talk to me? Tell me what's wrong?"

Charlotte sniffled and lifted her head.

"You don't want to be my daddy." she said in a tiny voice.

Ricky felt his heart break in a million pieces. He pulled her into his arms.

"Charlotte, it's not that I don't want to be your daddy." he said, kissing the top of her head, "It's just that there is a lot more, um, adult stuff involved in that sort of thing."

"Do you like me?" she asked.

He gave her a big hug.

"No Charlotte, I don't like you."

"What?" she gasped.

"I love you Princess." he said before tickling her.

Her giggles made him laugh.

"Can I be your friend?" he asked.

Charlotte nodded.

"Excuse me." the teacher appeared, "Is everything ok?"

Ricky looked down at the little girl.

"I don't know. Is everything okay, Charlotte?" he asked.

Charlotte nodded. Ricky hopped up and helped her out from under the fountain. The teacher smiled.

"We're having art time, would you and Mr. Ricky like to come back inside?"

"Yes!" Charlotte said enthusiastically at the suggestion.

"She's a famous artist." Ricky teased as they headed back to the classroom.

"No I'm not!" Charlotte protested.

"You will be." Ricky said, squeezing her hand.

Charlotte beamed. Ricky let out a sigh of relief, glad she felt better.

LINE BREAK

Nini groaned when she saw Ricky and Charlotte walking into the kindergarten on the mid-day news at the Melody Mart. Her cell phone rang.

"Right on cue." she said when she answered.

"You let my daughter go out with him alone!" EJ yelled, "You barely know him! He could be some creeper!"

"The only creeper I know is you." she responded in a bored tone.

EJ let out an aggravated sound. She knew he just hated that he couldn't control her anymore.