Ch. 30

Nini had to hit the ground running when they arrived back in Los Angeles Monday morning. She kissed Ricky goodbye, took the kids to school and arrived only ten minutes late for her first class. But she couldn't focus. The weekend had been- amazing. She was filled with so much glee and happiness that she didn't know what to do with herself.

"Nini?"

Nini jumped at her professor's voice.

"Oh, Mr. Lindy, I'm sorry." she said stressfully.

The old man smiled.

"Relax dear; I just wanted to see if you were all right. You are usually my most engaging student."

"She's fine. She's dating a celebrity." the boy behind her scoffed.

Nini turned a nice shade of red.

"I'm just fine sir." she managed to get out, "Please, continue."

Mr. Lindy patted her clenched hands and moved on.

But she found herself lost in her thoughts again. The past weekend had made her realize something she wasn't sure she should be realizing quite yet.

She might be in love with Ricky Bowen.

LINE BREAK

Nini found herself inspired by some of the things Ricky had said to her that night at the Gehry Hall. So as soon as she was able to, she hit the piano, lyrics swirling in her mind. She was focusing so hard she didn't notice someone entering the practice room.

"Hello gorgeous."

"Ahhh!" she screamed.

"Whoa, Nini!" Ricky put his hands up defensively, "It's just me."

"Oh." she said, clutching a hand to her chest.

"You ok?" Ricky asked with a laugh.

"Sure. Just help me find my heart and everything will be just fine." she said with a smile, "You scared me."

"No kidding." he said, joining her at the piano bench and pecking her on the lips, "What are you doing that has you so checked out?"

"Oh just a song for you." she said nonchalantly, "It's almost finished."

He put an arm around her.

"Oh really?"

"Really. Why'd you come here?" she asked, "Not that I'm not happy to see you."

"I just came to tell you I'll be out of town a couple of days." he answered, tinkering with some of the keys, "I'm going to perform on Good Morning America in New York for the first time."

"Congratulations!" Nini stood and threw her arms around her boyfriend.

Ricky stood as well and pulled her into his arms.

"Thanks beautiful." he nodded towards the scribbles on the paper at the piano, "Will your song be ready?"

Nini beamed and nodded.

"Teach it to me." he said.

She made a movement towards the piano, but he held her there.

"After you kiss me."

And she did. The urge to tell him that she loved him surfaced and it took everything in her to quell it. It wasn't the right time.

LINE BREAK

Nini flipped on the television early the next morning.

"And coming up within the hour, Ricky Bowen will be in the studio for an interview and a new song." the news caster announced.