Ch. 19

**This chapter has strong mentions of abuse. If it triggers you or makes you uncomfortable, please skip!
____________________________

They stood there, just kissing for what seemed like hours. Suddenly Nini gasped and pushed him away.

"What? What? Are you sorry-" Ricky babbled.

Nini grabbed his flailing arms.

"No. No. No." she said, "I-I'm not sorry. I'm just so surprised that I-"

She turned beet red. Ricky smiled teasingly. He pulled her back into his arms and leaned down to whisper in her ear.

"That you could be so wonton?"

She gasped when he bit her earlobe lightly.

"Wha-nah." her vague British accent coming out.

Ricky laughed and pulled away.

"Where are the kids?" he asked, throwing himself on the couch, feet up.

Nini didn't know how he could be so cool after what had just happened. She was shaking like a leaf and she felt as though she had been turned up several degrees.

"Uh- Kourt has them. They should be here soon."

"How soon is soon?" he asked, sitting up.

Nini glanced at the atomic clock on the wall.

"Another hour. Why?"

"Come here."

"Um..." Nini shifted where she stood, "Why?"

Ricky let out a breathy laugh.

"Dammit Nins; I want to kiss you again."

Nini blushed and looked away.

"Me? Really?" she said quietly, "Why me? You could kiss anyone. Not plain old me. I'm not worth it."

Ricky didn't respond at first. He stood up and took her face in his hands, forcing her to look at him.

"What did he do to you?" the curly haired boy asked sadly, "Did he tell you all those things?"

Tears sprung to her eyes. She blinked rapidly so they wouldn't fall.

"He did, didn't he?" Ricky let her go and let out some nasty curses, "If I didn't think it would jeopardize you keeping Charlotte and Connor, I'd kill him."

"Ricky!"

"You're defending him?" Ricky was angry.

"No, of course not." Nini said, becoming worried as Ricky began to pace angrily, "Please, calm down. I-I'll tell you what happened between me and EJ. But please, sit down."

Ricky stopped pacing and pressed a kiss to her forehead, but he sat down. Nini sat down at the other end of the couch. She needed space for this.

"Thank you for trusting me Nini." Ricky said genuinely.

Nini gave him a small smile. She appreciated that. She began her story.

"Things up to our wedding were great. EJ was wonderful to me and I fell completely in love with him. After a year of dating, we got married, against many peoples advice, mostly from his side. I was too plain, not rich enough, my music made me seem too aloof for them. But we ignored it. At least, I did. About five months in, I found him repeating a lot of what his family said."

"Like what?" Ricky asked.

"Well, we were invited to his parent's law office party. I had bought a midnight blue dress that I loved. I spent the entire evening getting ready. EJ came home, saw me and said that his mother was right, blue wasn't my color and that I needed to change. I was hurt, but it didn't register as a warning sign. "

"Then what?"

Nini stared down at her hands.

"A few more months later I found out I was pregnant. EJ was working his way up the ladder at his job and just got a promotion. So I thought it was the perfect time for us to have a family. So I made a special dinner, and decorated the house in blues and pinks, I didn't even know what I was having, but I was so excited. I completely forgot that EJ was bringing home a possible client. He was mad, I could tell, but he kept his cool until his client left. Before I could even apologize, he-"

Nini cleared her throat. She jumped slightly when Ricky scooted closer, taking her hands.

"He slapped me across the face. Accused me of trying to sabotage his career. It wasn't till the next week that it registered to him that I was pregnant. He apologized for hitting me. He even seemed happy about the babies. Nothing happened again until after Charlotte and Connor were born. He wouldn't help with the babies or even hold them. He never held them, even at the hospital. He would get angry with me when I couldn't stop them from crying. He began to stay away from the house more, saying he had to work. So after one miserable night alone, Connor had an ear infection and Charlotte was colicky, I was crying and I had had it. I confronted him the next morning. He didn't listen, just yelled that since he was making all the money he could do what he pleased. Then he slapped me again, telling me that his sister was right, I was worthless and ungrateful. I hung in there a little longer, but when he left me with a black eye, it was over. Kourtney helped me pack up the kids and myself and let me stay at her place. I wouldn't let her go to the police, so she took pictures herself. I told her everything. She helped me file for divorce. EJ didn't fight it, in fact was just pleased to be rid of me and the twins. He paid child support without problem, but never asked about the kids. That was just fine."

"So why does he want the kids now?" Ricky asked.

"For the image. He's a broker with that company that advertises its family values, and he needs to look like a family-man. This was all going to happen, slapping you just caused things to happen faster."

"Can't his new wife have kids?" Ricky asked.

"I'm sure she could. I think though, they don't want to deal with a baby. Like five year olds are any easier." Nini snorted.

Just then Charlotte and Connor burst through the front door, fighting.

"Dora is more smarter than Thomas!" Charlotte shouted.

"Nu-uh!" was Connor's retort.

"Dora is a person, Thomas is a train duh!"

"Mommy! Charlotte said duh!"

"You just said it."

"Whoa!" Nini shouted, "Time out. That's enough. Where is your Auntie Kourt?"

"She said bye and that you have to call her." Charlotte informed her mom just as Connor loudly spotted Ricky.

"Hey little man." Ricky said giving the little boy a big hug, then held out an arm for Charlotte, "Can I get a hug Princess?"

Charlotte ran into his arms, her shyness around him gone.

"Are you eating dinner here?" Connor asked.

Ricky looked up at Nini and smiled.

"Why don't you ask your mommy?"

Connor quickly turned around.

"Mommy, can Ricky stay for dinner?"

"Please mommy?" Charlotte pleaded.

Nini pretended to ponder it.

"Mom!" Connor cried.

"All right. But only if you guys hug me."

She laughed as the two brunettes flew at her.

"What will we have?" she asked.

And that of course caused another fight.