Ch. 14

Nini mustered up all her courage and called him late that night.

"Ricky Bowen here."

Nini rolled her eyes at his conceited tone.

"Hey Ricky, It's Nini."

"Nini? Are you ok? Did EJ-"

"I'm fine." she said, surprised at his sudden concern, "I just wanted to talk."

"About..."

Nini leaned back on her pillows.

"About a song. I'll do it."

"You will?" it was his turn to be surprised.

"I don't know if it'll be any good, but I'll try. What do you want it to be about?" she asked.

"Let's meet up. Anything could work." he said excitedly, "But nothing sappy or girly. Have it be fun, maybe with a story or an underlying meaning."

Nini found herself smiling. That would definitely be different than what she usually wrote, but she would try.

"Okay. Come by the practice room around four. We'll talk about it." she said, "Good night Ricky."

"Night darling. I will see you later." he said warmly before hanging up.

She pulled out her book.

I am beginning to see this whole Ricky thing in a different light. It has become more of a partnership. I told him I would write him a song. I promised Kourtney I would try and I am. EJ is furious. I don't think he expected to be challenged. I think he thought he could walk all over me like he did before. Well, not anymore.

-LINE BREAK-

Nini rushed into the Melody Mart a little before four. She had stayed at school to study for her upcoming midterms.

"You're late." her David said.

"I know David, but these tests are killers." Nini panted, heading up the stairs, "Tell me when Ricky gets here."

"He's coming here?" David said.

Nini turned at his tone.

"Yes. I'm helping him with his music."

David shook his head.

"Not here you're not." he said.

Nini stepped down the stairs and stood in front of her dad.

"Why not?"

"Because this is my store, and I don't want Ricky Bowen in it."

Nini gaped at him.

"Dave, I need the piano."

"Until you come to your senses, Nini, you no longer work here." David said, emotionless, "I'll still watch Charlotte and Connor if you need me to, but that's it."

"I thought you saw me as a daughter" choked out.

"That's debatable." David said, "Now, I must ask you to leave."

Nini didn't just leave; she ran, tears blurring her vision. She mumbled apologies as she crashed into people. Someone caught her and she struggled.

"Nini! Nini! It's me!"

Nini stopped struggling and looked up to see Ricky's concerned face. She collapsed into him, sobbing. A crowd was forming, so he quickly moved them into his limo. He just held her; she was too upset to speak. Finally, she settled down enough to explain what happened.