Ch. 21

Nini woke up super early the next morning. She had to get papers to Mr. Mazzara and inform David that her and Ricky were for real; at least she thought they were. She had to check on that. Her boss just nodded and stated he'd be there. She was pretty sure that she was ready, Mr. Mazzara seemed to agree.

"I am taking your case pro bono." Mr. Mazzara said, putting the paperwork in an envelope.

"What?" Nini said, surprised, "Ricky's not paying you?"

"Not anymore." the quiet man said.

"What changed?" she asked.

Mr. Mazzara narrowed his eyes at her.

"I happen to despise your ex-husband's lawyer. We are going to win this Miss Salazar-Roberts."

Nini laughed and shook Mr. Mazzara's hand.

"Thank you sir."

Mr. Mazzara cracked the first smile she'd seen from him.

"I'll see you tomorrow Miss Salazar-Roberts."

LINE BREAK

Kourtney had mandated to Nini that she was doing her makeup for the awards and told her that she needed at least four hours to work her magic. Gina was there too, but only because she was excited to see one of her best friends go to an award show and she wanted to be the first one, alongside Kourt to hear about the details! Nini thought it was a little extreme, but Kourt was a force to be reckoned with when it came to parties and such. They were currently at hour threee. Nini was already ready. Her midnight blue dress still looked amazing on her. It came mid-thigh, long sleeved, and had rows of these beautiful  rhinestones. Gina had helped her curl and clip up her hair. Nini generally hated wearing a lot of make-up, but made an exception for tonight. Well, it was more like Kourt was coming at her eye with mascara stick and she had to hold still or she would lose an eye. She put on her treble clef necklace. It looked very delicate. She added gold hoop earrings to match the gold of the necklace. She decided on small heels, not wanting to fall flat on her face.

"God, you look amazing Nins." Kourt said, applying her own make up.

"I can't believe you get to go to an award show! and that I wasn't even invited!" Kourt said, and Nini just laughed.

"I have an idea." Kourt said sarcastically, "I'll take the curly-sue!"

"That curly-sue is mine!" Nini said before she could think about it.

Kourt grinned at her best friend.

"Oh really?"

"Shut up Kourt."

There was a knock on the door. The girls glanced at the clock. 7:45. Ricky was early.

"Coming!" Nini called.

Nini straightened out her dress and checked out her hair in makeup in the hallway mirror before making her way to the door. Nini opened the door to see Ricky leaning against the wall, looking amazing in his black tuxedo.

"You look beautiful Nina Salazar-Roberts." he said, kissing her hand.

She flushed.

"Thank you." she whispered, "You look amazing."

"Of course I do." he teased.

Suddenly she was pulled into a kiss. She was sort of dazed when he pulled away.

"It wasn't a dream." she said, then covered her mouth in embarrassment.

Ricky laughed loudly, but not at her expense.

"Are you ready to go, beautiful?" Ricky asked, holding out his arm for her.

Nini smiled. "I am" she said, linking her arm through his and walking out the door. "Bye Kourt, Bye Gi." She said, waving back at them.

They got in the limo and headed to Baleen. Somehow, this had become one of Nini's favorite places to eat. This time Ricky's arm around her was perfectly comfortable as they walked into the restaurant.

They ate quickly and then got back in the limo and headed downtown to the staple center.

There was a comfortable silence as they made their way downtown but the question of whether or not her and Ricky were in an actual relationship plagued her mind. "Ricky?" she said quietly, "Is this real?"

She lifted their joined hands pointedly.

He kissed her hand again, then kissed her soundly, taking her breath away.

"Yes. This is very real."

"Just checking." she squeaked, face burning.

Soon, their door was being opened.

"Ready?" Ricky asked?

She nodded. Nini could already hear the roar of a crowd.

"And here comes Ricky Bowen and his lovely girlfriend Nina Salazar-Roberts." a commentator said into a microphone.

Nini was blinded by all the camera flashes, but Ricky skillfully guided her down the red carpet.

"This is where we stop for the photos." he whispered to her.

"Ricky!"

"Ricky! Over here!"

Ricky smiled and put his arm around Nini's waist. She smiled. This was incredible.

"Nina! Over here!"

Oh lord, they were calling her name. She turned to what direction she thought the shout came from.

Ryan Seacrest stuck a microphone in Ricky's face.

"I'm here with the man of the hour, Ricky Bowen. Now Ricky, you're nominated for three awards tonight. Song of the year, Album of the year, and best new recording artist. How does that feel?"

So that's why they were there, Nini silently mused.

"It's an honor Ryan." he answered gallantly.

"Nini, do you think any of the songs you write for Ricky will eventually be nominated for song of the year?"

"Oh- that would be nice. We'll have to see." she managed to get out, not expecting to be spoken too.

"Well, good luck to you tonight, and I hope we see more of you two, you are adorable."

Rick waved and moved them on. Nini glanced down. Yep, this was real, red carpet. She giggled. It was too loud for them to talk, so Ricky just squeezed her. Nini was having the time of her life. She had already spotted stars she could only dream of seeing in person. Ricky and Nini eventually got settled into their seats.

"That was incredible." Nini gushed quietly.

Ricky chuckled put his arm around her as the lights dimmed, kissing her head. Kelly freaking Clarkson opened the award show with a unique medley of country and mostly rap songs and the crowd was going crazy over it. Ricky had told her that his awards were towards the middle and end of the show but she didn't care. She couldn't believe this was somewhat a part of her life now. She also couldn't believe how proud she was of her boyfriend. She let out a muffled sound.

"Are you alright?" Ricky whispered.

"You're my-boyfriend." she whispered back.

He laughed silently and leaned down so his lips met her ear.

"I'm glad you slapped me baby." he said.

She giggled.

Nini pulled her boyfriend's head down so she could whisper in his ear.

"I'm glad I did too."

They stopped after being shushed by everyone around them.
________________________________
Cute little chapter, eh?