Ch. 17

Nini pulled into the parking lot of Warner Records the next morning feeling very nervous. She shut off the car and sat there.

"Are we going in or not?" Kourt asked.

Nini swallowed hard and nodded. That was why she had brought Kourt along, to push her. They entered the five story glass building. The two girls soon found themselves being escorted to the second floor.

"Nini!" Red appeared in the hall, "Come this way! You too, Kourtney!"

Nini smiled as they followed Red through the doorway."

Nini looked around the room in awe. It was a sound studio, glass dividing the room. One side had all the mechanics, the other a microphone.

"Miss Salazar-Roberts, great to see you, honey!" Jen greeted, hugging her. "How is my painter of words?

Nini smiled and returned her hug.

"I'm fine. I hope you don't mind, but I brought a friend." Nini said, "And please, call me Nini."

"Not a problem Nini." Jen said, "Let me introduce you to my crew."

Nini shook some hands and accepted quite a few compliments. Apparently they were just waiting on Ricky.

"Where is he?" she asked.

Red's phone dinged. He pulled it out of his pocket.

"He is in the parking lot." He reported texting back.

Ricky soon came jogging into the room. He spotted Nini and smiled.

"Ready darling?" he asked, his brown eyes glimmering.

"Yes." Nini responded breathlessly, something about those brown eyes.

Kourt giggled beside her. Nini elbowed her as Ricky entered the booth.

"Let's get started." Jen said.

LINE BREAK

To say Nini was exhausted is an understatement. It was hard work to record two songs, but they got it done and were releasing them the next week to be sold. She collapsed on one of the oddly shaped couches in a lounge area. Kourt was off roaming around the giant studio, no doubt looking for the kitchen. She smiled as Ricky joined her.

"I can't believe you have done this so many times." she said, referring to his several albums plus singles.

"But you had fun, didn't you?" he asked.

She sighed and closed her eyes a moment and nodded.

"Mm-hm." she murmured.

"Ricky!" Red's frantic voice interrupted their peace.

"What is it man?" Ricky asked, his voice relaxed.

"Alexis Mendel is here!" Red exclaimed"She wants to interview you and Nini!"

Nini's eyes widened and shook her head.

"I don't think that's a good idea Kourt! I'm just a nobody!"

"Are you kidding? Girl, you're a big time song-writer now Nini, for big-shot Ricky Bowen. You have to do the interview." Kourt gushed.

"Ricky! Nini! Ms. Mendel is waiting in the green room." Jen said, "And we need this interview."

"Where is the green room?" Nini asked as Ricky put a hand to her back and began pushing her towards an elevator.

"Fourth floor." he answered, jabbing the up button.

"Ricky, I have never done an interview in my life." Nini said as they boarded the elevator, "What do I say? What do I do?"

"Follow my lead. Keep your answers upbeat and short. And if there is a question you do not want to answer, politely refuse. I am going to introduce you first as my song writer, then as my girlfriend." Ricky rattled off as they reached the fourth floor, "Alexis Mendel is not a witch-hunt reporter."