98. Nothing Else Is Important

Will’s POV

I sit in what I though was going to be my old office as I wait for Jack to call me in for a meeting. Vin glances in as he walks by and then does a double take when he sees me inside.

“Will. I thought you and Jessi would be half way across Canada by now,” he says taking a seat in the chair directly across from me.

“Running’s not going to do anything.”

“Well then how about I run, and you can tell me how the meeting goes with Jack.”

“Funny,” I say sitting back in my chair. “I’d rather not face the dragon alone.”

“And I’d rather not face him at all. Why can’t I just say ‘I don’t except’ and be done with it?”

“Because then he’ll just give the job to someone else. He’d give it to a high school intern before he hands it over to me.”

“Then I’ll just give the job to you. It’ll be my first act as president.”

“Have you even read the contract?” I ask rolling my eyes.

“No, I didn’t exactly think I was going to be in this position.”

“It’s a two year contract.”

“Shit, so what’s the plan?” he asks putting his hands on my desk and leaning over.

I shrug. “I’m still working on that.”

He rubs his hand over his chin. “You’re cutting it a little close, even for you. I would say you have a good thirty seconds to think of something good or we’re all fucked.”

“I’ll talk to Brown,” I say tapping my pen against the wood.

“A lot of good that does us now. Do you know how long it will take to get an appointment with him? Plus you’ll need to fly out to NYC.”

“For now,” I say holding up my hand so he’ll calm down. “You accept the job. It’s not the end of the world. Matt and I will help you, and the three of us will figure something out from there. I’m sure the presidents from Washington and Arizona will be interested to hear about Jack’s choice.”

“And you?” he acknowledges. “What about you and Jessi?”

I audibly exhale as I look down at my phone to see the screensaver of the two of us.

“We’ll just have to put that on hold.”

“I can give you a loan,” Vinny states but I shake my head.

“Thanks Vin, but I’ll figure something out.”  

I put my phone into my pocket as Jack walks into the room. It’s like all of the surrounding air suddenly became denser.

“My office,” he says glancing at both of us before walking away. It’s not his office anymore. I want to shove that fact in his face, along with my fist, but I ignore both urges. The one positive that hasn’t changed over the past few days is that Jack is leaving. Even though I desperately wanted, needed, to take his place, there’s still the ray of light that Jack will officially be out of my life.

“And so it begins,” Vin mutters standing up.

“And so it ends,” I correct. Ending sounds much more appealing than starting when it comes to Jack. This is the end. I don’t know how beneficial it will end up being of me, but at least it’s the end.

“President,” Jack greets Vin as soon as we enter the room. Then he turns to me. “Will.”

Jackass.