17. Explanations

"The doctor just needs to ask some questions and run some tests and he will be out of emergency care soon. Then you can see him," Crazy Lady One says.

"No, no. I was told that I could see him right after he woke up." I don't know if it's possible for them to piss me off more.

"Well, you lost any chance of doing that when you broke into the room," she says in the most condescending voice. She's probably only a few years older than me. And I could totally beat her up if I wanted to, which sounds really tempting.

"The door was left open. I was just taking advantage of an opportunity."

"I'm sure," she goes back to her clipboard and walks away. Well, at least now I'll be able to see him soon. It's not going to be another five hours, unless Will cooperates. So, it could be another five hours.

As soon as I get comfortable in my chair again, I see Leah half walking, half running down the hall.

"Jessi darling! Is William around here?" She asks a little frantically. I'm guessing no one called her since her name wasn't on Will's form. I would have called if I knew her number, but I still feel kind of bad.

"Yeah, he's in there," I say pointing to the door in front of me. "Good luck getting in." She tries opening the door herself to no avail and waves down the first nurse. It just happens to be Crazy Lady One.

"Excuse me, can I please go in there? It's my son." I think the person waiting outside the door all night should get a pass to talk to the patient too, but I don't make the rules.

"Of course you can," she glares at me while she talks and goes to get a key. Bitch.

Leah goes in and the doctor comes out. "He's a stubborn one, isn't he?" The doctor says shaking his head.

"You're telling me," I say with a little smirk. God forbid the doctor ask any personal questions. Will might have a heart attack, which would be pretty convenient given our current enviornment. 

"Maybe he'll listen better after he's seen you. He won't shut up about it. You're really close with your cousin aren't you?" Will keeps asking about me? How did he even know I was here? Well, he should remember writing my name down as his emergency contact, but I could have gone home when the doctor told me to earlier.

"Yeah, I guess we're pretty close," and once again, the people in the hallway switch as Leah comes out and the doctor goes in.

"Thank you so much for coming Jessi. You really didn't have to do that," Leah says as she straightens out her dress.

"It was no problem really. But, do you think that maybe we could exchange phone numbers, you know, for in the future? I feel bad that no one called you." She seems over the moon at the idea and hands me a piece of paper with her phone number, since my phone is dead, and I tell her mine.

"I should get back to my art meeting. Will wants to talk to you more anyway." I think my Mom is in a Saturday morning art club. Both Leah and my Mom are so into art, I wonder if they've ever run into each other. It's definitely something to ask when we're anywhere but a hospital.

"Go ahead! I'm just going to stay here anyway. I'll find a phone to call you if anything happens," I say with a smile. I have no idea why Will didn't want me to meet her. She is one of the nicest people I've ever met.

"Oh thank you so much Jessi! You're a blessing. I'll see you later," she gives me a quick hug and then is doing her half walk, half run down the hall again.

It seems like forever until the doctor finally leaves the room. Will probably did something stupid like answer 'no' for every question until the doctor caught on.